• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Deducted hours for compulsory event

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
    Normally I would agree with you, but this lot will wait till I show up and start phoning.
    Then turn your phone off.

Just be firm but polite and say you will not be attending.

If they repeat you have to just say Im not attending for business reasons (or ask them to state where in the contract they have that level of direction over you).

I wouldnt bulltulip them with some made up excuse. Oh, and Id start looking for a new role and tell them why when I leave why I left.
    I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

I plead poverty in these circumstances. A two-week furlough means I have to watch my pennies for the next couple of months. They can't really argue against it without seeing your warchest

Comment

Um ... I thought telling them thanks but no thanks was exactly that?

Did you read the post, oh ye accuser of not reading before posting?
        Did you!?

You keep saying they say this or they say that about attending this meal you're making a meal of.

I just said dont tell any stupid lies. Just be firm, polite and refuse. Then turn your phone off seeing as you're so bothered about them phoning you up. Are you a man or a bleedin' mouse FFS?

Grow a pair or stop asking for advice when its been given to you repeatedly. You just make yourself sound like a wimp \ gimp when you keep asking effectively the same question again and again.

Comment

My present client is demanding that I attend the year end Chrismas meal. Of course I have declined as ,

1. The meal is out of hours.
          2. The client expects all contractors to pay for their own meal.
          3. Client has furloughed me over Christmas, as such I'm not seeing the joy in celebrating.

They keep sending me Outlook reminders that I promptly delete.

I did state it's bang out of order and you should stand your ground, but we all know it might not be worth being out of work for a month or two. So you need to do what is right. The point here is that you need to anticipate these types of situations in the future and make sure you are on the right side of them.
          Stand your ground. If you get your contract terminated for this, they [the client] are not worth working with anyway.
          Contracting: more of the money, less of the sh1t

Comment

Originally posted by tvr450 View Post
            At my current gig, when asked if I would be attending the Christmas party I said "Traditionally I do not attend this event"
            Well you sound like fun
            ⭐️ Gold Star Contractor

Comment

Demanding - Exactly.
              Attend and then bill them for it. Then claim on the costs as a business expense.
              Last edited by NickyBoy; 9 December 2014, 09:38.

Comment

Christ. I have so much to say, but I just can't write down the words properly. Jesus wept, I can't believe some of the contractors on this board. Advising to make up silly excuses, or plead poverty, or are worried that the big bad client is demanding you go to the Christmas party. Pathetic.

What businesses are you guys running where you cannot stand up and do what you want outside of business hours?? I am gobsmacked. I hate to sound like a massive macho twat here, but for god's sake, grow a pair.

Comment

Originally posted by GillsMan View Post
                  Christ. I have so much to say, but I just can't write down the words properly. Jesus wept, I can't believe some of the contractors on this board. Advising to make up silly excuses, or plead poverty, or are worried that the big bad client is demanding you go to the Christmas party. Pathetic.

What businesses are you guys running where you cannot stand up and do what you want outside of business hours?? I am gobsmacked. I hate to sound like a massive macho twat here, but for god's sake, grow a pair.
                  I tend to find 'no, I am busy' works.

Comment

Originally posted by GillsMan View Post

Amen, bro. It truely is pathetic, isnt ti?

Comment

Working...
                    X