• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Going from permanent to Linux contracting in London

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Going from permanent to Linux contracting in London

I'm working since March 2014 for a big American IT company in London, but it bothers me that I'm not learning much and don't see much challenge in my work anymore. Despite the good name on the CV, I feel this company is mainly good for people earlier in their professional career. This is why I am considering contracting.

My salary (£50k) as a Linux SysAdmin is a bit higher than the average in London, but I think I'd commence a lower-than-average salary (£450) starting contracting as I've seen a few Linux contractors that were above my level, whereas permies are generally a little less experienced.n.

I have about £14k in my bank account and my living expenses are around £1800 monthly, so I have been saving quite a lot. I'm considering to start contracting in Q1 2015. The notice period at my current job is 1 month, so that might be an easy. I'd probably also have to do my first contracts via agencies. The idea of doing contracting makes me very excited, I've been an entrepreneur for 8 years before. I do have doubts, because whereas I was most of the time better than most direct colleagues as a perm, many few IT contractors I've met were really good and experienced. And there's always the fact that it'd be something new for me.

Are there people that can relate and/or can give me input/advice?

Originally posted by ujjain View Post
    .The idea of doing contracting makes me very excited
    My life would have been much easier were I so easily pleased.

Comment

Originally posted by ujjain View Post
      I'm working since March 2014 for a big American IT company in London, but it bothers me that I'm not learning much and don't see much challenge in my work anymore. Despite the good name on the CV, I feel this company is mainly good for people earlier in their professional career. This is why I am considering contracting.

My salary (£50k) as a Linux SysAdmin is a bit higher than the average in London, but I think I'd commence a lower-than-average salary (£450) starting contracting as I've seen a few Linux contractors that were above my level, whereas permies are generally a little less experienced.n.

I have about £14k in my bank account and my living expenses are around £1800 monthly, so I have been saving quite a lot. I'm considering to start contracting in Q1 2015. The notice period at my current job is 1 month, so that might be an easy. I'd probably also have to do my first contracts via agencies. The idea of doing contracting makes me very excited, I've been an entrepreneur for 8 years before. I do have doubts, because whereas I was most of the time better than most direct colleagues as a perm, many few IT contractors I've met were really good and experienced. And there's always the fact that it'd be something new for me.

Are there people that can relate and/or can give me input/advice?

There a lot you've got wrong there....

1. £450 a day is tough call for a contracting noob, set your sights lower, rates are dropping like a stone.

2. 99% of your work will be via agencies

3. One month notice is too long in your position.

4. Probably need more Unix strings to your bow, some tradition Unix, AIX, Solaris etc along with their underlying firmware-based virtualisation technologies, VIO's, HMC, Control domains etc...

Comment

How can you expect to go from £50k in a perm role to £450 a day in your 1st contract? Seems a bit high to me

Comment

Originally posted by ckms View Post
          How can you expect to go from £50k in a perm role to £450 a day in your 1st contract? Seems a bit high to me
          Yes, recently had one that as well the easy Linux stuff, wanted all the AIX and PowerVM skills under the sun for £200/day, There are 450/day plus roles in London but not for the neophyte with just Linux.

Comment

I sincerely hope that your grasp of the English language is worse than your Linux ability in bashing it out, than your original post? £450 would be at the top of your game I'm afraid, and if you have to produce documentation, then Bob Shawadiwadi is your friend...
            I was an IPSE Consultative Council Member, until the BoD abolished it. I am not an IPSE Member, since they have no longer have any relevance to me, as an IT Contractor. Read my lips...I recommend QDOS for ALL your Insurance requirements (Contact me for a referral code).

Comment

Originally posted by ckms View Post
              I went from less than that as a permie to a similar sort of rate on my first contract. I don't know what the rates for the OPs skillset are, but the expectations don't seem that bad to me.
              Best Forum Advisor 2014
              Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
              Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

I will be working Sundays starting next month, so I have Fridays for doing interviews. At least I'll be able to get a better feel. Anyway, going contracting is not all about the money for me.

Thanks for the replies. I guess that a contractor should mostly find his own way. Life as a permanent at my current and last job have just been a bit boring at times for me, the expectations are very low.

Comment

You should be looking at the DevOps stuff.

Will be slightly more quiet at the moment but very busy (i.e. VERY busy) in the 1st quarter next year from about Feb.

Go play my friend. You are in the best place to work.

Comment

You would be better off handing in your notice though and then looking for contracts when available in a couple of weeks.

Yes it's hard to do but that is the best way to do it.
                    If your notice period is one month then hand in your notice in Feb (after watching the market for a bit to see how things are going).

p.s. You could ask for a wage increase prior to handing in your notice if you want.

p.p.s It will not work out so well if you wish to apply for contracts while still having a notice period - unless going permy again. That could be the best option for you though.

Comment

Working...
                    X