• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

HOUSTON

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HOUSTON

Hi there,

I am considering moving out to Texas with my wife. We have visited family in Houston last month and have decided to pursue a move out there.
    Ive been working as a contract senior electrical designer in the oil industry. The job market appears to be good in Houston, however we need to find out whether it will be feasible for us both to move out there.
    I understand I would need to get an E2 Visa, is this correct? would anyone be able to offer any advice on how I would get this, would I arrange this myself or would the UK recruitment agency sort this out for me?
    Regarding tax, can anyone advise on the tax rate for contractors in Texas?
    I have seen quite a few jobs advertised, however the rates vary dramatically - ranging between $45-$85per hour. So I'm a bit confused as to the rate I could expect to get out there.
    I understand holiday allowance in US is much less than the UK, however as I would be contracting in Houston do you have any indication of what a reasonable amount of time off would be.

Any advice you can give on the above would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

I've not done what you are suggesting, however I have heard that you would have to go permie. My understanding is that the perception of a contractor is different between the US and here. Contractors are seen as losers who couldn't hack it at a company and so drift around from job to job.

I think (but I'm not going to do a google search) that the term you should be using is consultant?

Comment

Originally posted by ROSS84 View Post
      I understand holiday allowance in US is much less than the UK, however as I would be contracting in Houston do you have any indication of what a reasonable amount of time off would be.
      Groan.......

Comment

No idea, but I am aware Houston is a state that has no income tax (I only know this through following US sports), so worth looking into more to see if that evens out the lower rates.

I also thought it was more difficult to get into the US these days, the most common route being offered a job and the company sponsoring you.

Comment

Originally posted by jmo21 View Post
          No idea, but I am aware Houston is a state that has no income tax (I only know this through following US sports), so worth looking into more to see if that evens out the lower rates.

I also thought it was more difficult to get into the US these days, the most common route being offered a job and the company sponsoring you.
          Houston isn't a state

Houston has no local income tax, TX has no state income tax, though.

TX has one of the highest levels of sales tax in the country to make up for it
          Best Forum Advisor 2014
          Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
          Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
            Houston isn't a state

Houston has no local income tax, TX has no state income tax, though.

TX has one of the highest levels of sales tax in the country to make up for it
            doh, of course I meant Texas, the state that Houston is in

Comment

I understand I would need to get an E2 Visa, is this correct? would anyone be able to offer any advice on how I would get this, would I arrange this myself or would the UK recruitment agency sort this out for me?
              An E2 visa is for entrepreneurs who invest a "substantial" amount of money in the new venture. There is no definition of substantial, though, which makes it hard to work out whether it's worth shelling out $270 for the processing fee if you are unlikely to be eligible.

Looking at the details on the US embassy website, and reading the list of required documents, I think you'd struggle to show that a one-man band contractor is going to get an E2 visa. From the questions that have been asked in the past, your best bet is to go permie there and get a visa that way.

Bear in mind that Americans do not view contractors in the same way we do - if you are a good contractor, you might be rewarded with a permanent job offer

15 days seems to be what my American friends get
              Best Forum Advisor 2014
              Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
              Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

We have visited family in Houston last month
                And you ask strangers on UK forum about visas, salary levels, tax and holiday allowances in US, instead of your family that lives there???

I will leave alone the fact that the salary and holiday allowance for a contractor is what (s)he decides, being his/hers own boss...

Comment

Working...
                X