• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Overtime

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Depends on the place. Where I am now, its the same as the normal hourly rate (well day rate/8), which also covers weekdays if pre-agreed. Had one contract where we negotiated 1.5 for weekday - but that was when supporting critical systems that were breaking at 2am!

Comment

My company doesn't have hours in a contract. It has a fixed hourly rate that it charges for services. Overtime is not a term used in my business model.

Comment

I went contracting so as never to have to work 'overtime' like an employee does ever again.
        I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

I am fine with working extra hours if it is acknowledged and repaid with knocking off early or being paid for it.

Some clients just try and squeeze a few hours a day out of you (like the guy who posted on here recently) which I won't entertain as in my experience an equal amount of work could be done in a standard day with a bit or organisation on their part.

Comment

Originally posted by SussexSeagull View Post
            I am fine with working extra hours if it is acknowledged and repaid with knocking off early or being paid for it.

Some clients just try and squeeze a few hours a day out of you (like the guy who posted on here recently) which I won't entertain as in my experience an equal amount of work could be done in a standard day with a bit or organisation on their part.
            Yep I had one client who quite happy for me to stay until 9/10pm when things hit the fan but moaned then a few weeks later when I said I'd be in at 10am because of a dentist appointment.
            Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
              why does it matter what anyone else gets paid?
              The responses on here make me laugh sometimes (as do some of the queries of course!)

He wants to make sure he's:
              1) not asking for something out of the ordinary
              2) not missing a trick by trying to get too little

Comment

It really depends on what you agree from the outset and have in your contract.

I had a very interesting contract with a Service Provider where I had set a 'typical day' that say they would pay my day rate between the hours of 8AM and 8PM (with a working day classed as 7.5 hours). Anything outside of that was classed as out of scope and was at twice the day rate (divided into hours as and when needed).

If the work was out of scope, they needed to engage me in a 'pre-sales' activity which recieved a Statement of Work etc, which lead to some other pricing discussions based on the tasks. It worked nicely.
                Kind Regards,

Paul

Comment

Originally posted by kaiser78 View Post
                  Don't go down the 'overtime' route. Agree equivalent time off in the week for when working weekends.
                  You don't want to use the term "overtime" but you want to negotiate extra "time off in lieu"?! That's far worse in terms of permie speak.
                  Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                  I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                  Originally posted by vetran
                  Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

In one of my previous gigs I negotiated 150% for weekend and after 8PM. Was no problem at all

Comment

My experience with banks has been that on call and weekend work is generally expected and I personally dont ask for more cash. On the other hand if I come into the office a little late or leave a little early then that is generally accepted as well

Comment

Working...
                      X