• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

"All in" rate

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"All in" rate

I've seen a contract today advertised as "all in".

I queried the agent, suspecting what it meant, and sure enough, he meant including VAT.

It was actually a low rate already, but it was the wording that got me to respond.

Hope some newbie doesn't get caught out not realizing what that means.

Fine I guess if you are not VAT registered, but I imagine as soon they hear you are not charging VAT they'd want to pay less.

Shurely Shome Mishtake.

Comment

Its a con to make the rate look more attractive and Im pretty sure its illegal certainly from an advertising perspective. I understood if a company is VAT registered ie the agency, then they have to make clear the cost of the service, in this case the rate, is quoted as being inclusive of VAT or excluding VAT.

For example, if a roofer who is VAT registered advertises the cost of a new roof as £5000 but doesnt make clear this is including or excluding VAT is breaching advertising standards. I'm aware of a couple of traders falling foul of this.

Saying 'all in' doesnt comply with how I understand the relevant law or regulation.

Oh and if the contractor isnt VAT registered then the all in rate would be less the VAT so even lower.

That said, I always quoted my rate as excluding VAT.
      I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

Originally posted by jmo21 View Post
        I've seen a contract today advertised as "all in".

I queried the agent, suspecting what it meant, and sure enough, he meant including VAT.

It was actually a low rate already, but it was the wording that got me to respond.

Hope some newbie doesn't get caught out not realizing what that means.

Fine I guess if you are not VAT registered, but I imagine as soon they hear you are not charging VAT they'd want to pay less.
        But at least they included the "all in" bit, so applicants are aware ?

Comment

I've always assumed it means including travel and other expenses, but exclusive of VAT.

Mind you, I've been wrong before ...

Comment

Originally posted by borderreiver View Post
            I've always assumed it means including travel and other expenses, but exclusive of VAT.

That's how I would interpret it. Looks like in future, people will have to make sure exactly what the rate includes.
            Best Forum Advisor 2014
            Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
            Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Yeah, I've seen it used to mean that too. Usually when the agent knows that expenses will be particularly high for some reason and they don't want you trying to negotiate expenses on top when you realise how expensive it will be.

Comment

Same here (on both counts), I certainly wouldn't expect that to include VAT though.

Comment

Originally posted by kaiser78 View Post
                  But at least they included the "all in" bit, so applicants are aware ?
                  That's why it is there of course, so they can "claim" you were told.

But I think this is massively sneaky and not in line with the way contracts are normally advertised.

Why would the all in price be of interest to me. I make nothing from the VAT bit (well a little as I'm FRS)

Comment

Working...
                  X