• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Attending stupid employee meetings and IR35

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Attending stupid employee meetings and IR35

I am working with current client and contractors are being forced to attend fornightly 'Employee Involvement Communication' meetings. Also have to attend other employee training days and things along those lines.

I am really uncomfortable with this as I believe these things should be for employees only as in the title of the meeting. Of course it is difficult to refuse as sure they would just terminate my contract. But I am very unhappy with this situation as I feel I am working inside IR35 by attending such meetings.

Has anybody had experience of such things? In 16 years of contracting I never have but they have this policy of treating contractors the same as permies but of course this is the exact opposite of what I want!

Also been told hours of work are such and such. Again never had this ever before, generally people just do the hours of choice. So again feel I am being controlled by the client and again have IR35 worries.

Already decided I won't renew because of all this and think I have good grounds but what to do in the meantime.

Had this in one of my previous contracts. I just didn't show up and no one ever mentioned it.

Comment

Originally posted by Eirikur View Post
      Had this in one of my previous contracts. I just didn't show up and no one ever mentioned it.
      This

And if they insist say you presume they are paying your holiday pay then

Comment

I had this at an electronic monitoring company, I even had to go on a week's induction course but was eventually able to discuss it amicably with senior on site managers.

If your client is as amenable, you may be able to explain how these things arent good for you or them but generally you'll come up against a brick wall of resistance.

The only real option is to find another role elsewhere or suck it up while in the contract.

I wouldnt advise anyone to just not turn up as this is often a good way to antagonise your client.
        I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

Originally posted by cherhill View Post
          I am working with current client and contractors are being forced to attend fornightly 'Employee Involvement Communication' meetings. Also have to attend other employee training days and things along those lines.

I am really uncomfortable with this as I believe these things should be for employees only as in the title of the meeting. Of course it is difficult to refuse as sure they would just terminate my contract. But I am very unhappy with this situation as I feel I am working inside IR35 by attending such meetings.

Has anybody had experience of such things? In 16 years of contracting I never have but they have this policy of treating contractors the same as permies but of course this is the exact opposite of what I want!

Also been told hours of work are such and such. Again never had this ever before, generally people just do the hours of choice. So again feel I am being controlled by the client and again have IR35 worries.

Already decided I won't renew because of all this and think I have good grounds but what to do in the meantime.
          Had similar issues with a contract in the past, when I had to have a 'word' with the client contact and remind her that we are a B2B relationship and not E2E. I eventually did not accept an extension.

Does your contract say that you have fixed working hours too?

Comment

Originally posted by FatLazyContractor View Post
            Had similar issues with a contract in the past, when I had to have a 'word' with the client contact and remind her that we are a B2B relationship and not E2E. I eventually did not accept an extension.

Does your contract say that you have fixed working hours too?
            No contract just says weekly hours and not what times they should be.

Problem I have really is there quite a few contractors on site and all of them attend. If I was a lone contractor then I could just refuse but I can't really do that without looking like I am being awkward and they are not amenable anyway.

Thanks for the advice. It's as I thought I either suck it up or find somewhere else.

The good thing is it's a rubbish rate, a boring role and the rate isn't great. So not a biggie really.

Comment

Originally posted by cherhill View Post

In the summer we were all required to attend an "event" (team bonding) with an overnight stay in tents!
              Myself and the other "long in the tooth" contractor exited the event through a hole in the hedge and spent the whole day in a local hostelry.
              Blood in your poo

Comment

Originally posted by Sausage Surprise View Post
                In the summer we were all required to attend an "event" (team bonding) with an overnight stay in tents!
                Myself and the other "long in the tooth" contractor exited the event through a hole in the hedge and spent the whole day in a local hostelry.
                So you went back to the tents!?

Last time I attended one of these thing was back in the permie days and Andersons treated us all to a 3 day jolly at Charnock Richard. The room next door to mine had a particularly noisey bed all through the friggin night so at least two team members certainly 'bonded.'
                I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

Originally posted by BolshieBastard View Post
                  So you went back to the tents!?

Last time I attended one of these thing was back in the permie days and Andersons treated us all to a 3 day jolly at Charnock Richard. The room next door to mine had a particularly noisey bed all through the friggin night so at least two team members certainly 'bonded.'

Unfortunately yes...
                  Blood in your poo

Comment

Originally posted by Sausage Surprise View Post
                    Golly Gosh - where do you work? Who thinks up this nonsense ? I can honestly tell you that I would have no hesitation in telling the client where to go in good old fashioned Anglo Saxon terms.
                    Last edited by Jubber; 3 November 2014, 15:26. Reason: Removed edgy words as this is professional part of forum

Comment

Working...
                    X