• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Would you ?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by b0redom View Post
    If I didn't wfh in my current gig, I would have to leave the house at ~ 8am, and not be home until 6:30.

Even that sounds like a luxury. I do 7:30 to 19:30-20:00 inclusive of 1.45 commute each way.

Comment

If I didn't wfh in my current gig, I would have to leave the house at ~ 8am, and not be home until 6:30. As it is, I can drop the kids off at school, work 9-5:30, have an hour in comfort at lunch, and get an extra hour of family time before I would be home normally.

Of course you'll see the kids more as you'll be at home rather than sitting in your car!
      +1 (although in every other gig where I've not been WFH, it's been a case of leave the house at 6am Monday morning and come home 7pm Friday night).

I drop my kids off in the morning, and pick them up most afternoons. I'm available for school meetings when they occur. I get to spend lunch with my wife watching TV. I can finish at a reasonable time and then cook tea if I want to. If there is an emergency, I can be there immediately to help.

These all make a difference. Plus, by working from home, I get a lie-in a bit more rather than having to avoid traffic. Also, last week when I got soaked through on the morning school run, I came home and spent the day in my onesie rather than having to get dressed again
      Best Forum Advisor 2014
      Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
      Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
        +1 (although in every other gig where I've not been WFH, it's been a case of leave the house at 6am Monday morning and come home 7pm Friday night).

I drop my kids off in the morning, and pick them up most afternoons. I'm available for school meetings when they occur. I get to spend lunch with my wife watching TV. I can finish at a reasonable time and then cook tea if I want to. If there is an emergency, I can be there immediately to help.

These all make a difference. Plus, by working from home, I get a lie-in a bit more rather than having to avoid traffic. Also, last week when I got soaked through on the morning school run, I came home and spent the day in my onesie rather than having to get dressed again

Living the alpha male dream eh :-)

Comment

If I didn't wfh in my current gig, I would have to leave the house at ~ 8am, and not be home until 6:30. As it is, I can drop the kids off at school, work 9-5:30, have an hour in comfort at lunch, and get an extra hour of family time before I would be home normally.

Of course you'll see the kids more as you'll be at home rather than sitting in your car!
          Did you read the original post!?

It said WFH 1 day a week. In the grand scheme of things when you're WFH that day, you wont get the full 9 - 10 hours seeing the kids. You'll get 1 maybe 2 extra hours for that one day.
          I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

Originally posted by BolshieBastard View Post

It said WFH 1 day a week.

It said WFH, nothing about 1 day a week:

Originally posted by steve80 View Post
            WFH I do now but not allowed in this other job

Would you leave for extra money but lose WFH ?
            Best Forum Advisor 2014
            Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
            Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Working...
            X