• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Taking time off contract

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Generally, dont take ANY calls on mobile at my desk (open plan busy office) so deffo no calls from agencies. Thats what voice mail is for.

I will sometimes step outside and listen to voicemail/call them back or I will leave until lunchtime/end of day.

Phone interviews try to get lunchtime. Face-to-face first thing/last thing so I can possibly just turn up late/leave early one day. (Tell client doctor/dentist appt if they ask).

IMHO talking to agents in office in earshot is bad idea indeed.
    Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
      IMHO talking to agents in office in earshot is bad idea indeed.
      Depends on what you are saying

Sometimes it doesn't hurt to be overheard in the office saying "well, my contract runs out next Friday, so send me the details as I might be available" can spur the client into sorting out renewal paperwork.
      Best Forum Advisor 2014
      Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
      Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
        Depends on what you are saying

Sometimes it doesn't hurt to be overheard in the office saying "well, my contract runs out next Friday, so send me the details as I might be available" can spur the client into sorting out renewal paperwork.
        +1

Doesn't cause any bother for me. I just take the call at the desk. If they ask about my contract end date I tell them that, and if they start taking about roles, skills and locations I discuss, but if they query day rates, I only tell them that by email.

Another problem is that I get so many calls that are irrelevant, so constantly sneaking off to take a call about one of these roles is an utter waste of time.

Comment

Originally posted by CheeseSlice View Post
          +1

Doesn't cause any bother for me. I just take the call at the desk. If they ask about my contract end date I tell them that, and if they start taking about roles, skills and locations I discuss, but if they query day rates, I only tell them that by email.

Another problem is that I get so many calls that are irrelevant, so constantly sneaking off to take a call about one of these roles is an utter waste of time.
          +1

If they ask about rates I usually say something like "I can't talk about that at the moment" or "it depends on a number of factors" so no-one around me can listen in. I hate giving a rate off the top of my head anyway without investigating the cost of travel & hotels in the area of the ClientCo.

I just tell them to send me the job spec with the details I need to work out my costs so I can figure out a rate.

Comment

Working...
          X