• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

'Normal' payment terms

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

'Normal' payment terms

Looking at gig and agent mentioned up front that payment terms would be 28 days and that some people had an issue with that.

Sounds ok to me? As long as they pay within 28 days lol.

Must admit recent gigs have been weekly timesheet, pay few days later, or 145 day terms.

Doesnt seem an issue to be honest- 90 days would be.

BTW - whats best way to get credit reports etc on agencies? Free if possible,
    Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
    Looking at gig and agent mentioned up front that payment terms would be 28 days and that some people had an issue with that.

Sounds ok to me? As long as they pay within 28 days lol.

Must admit recent gigs have been weekly timesheet, pay few days later, or 145 day terms.

Doesnt seem an issue to be honest- 90 days would be.

BTW - whats best way to get credit reports etc on agencies? Free if possible,
    Weird that he mentioned that some people had an issue with that. As always, though, it depends on the agency, the invoice schedule, etc. I wouldn't be happy with 28 day terms and monthly invoicing if the agency was small and/or didn't have a great credit rating. For the larger players, I'd have no problem in theory, but then I'd expect the larger players to be able to offer factoring as part of the service/fee so would be looking for slightly better terms.

30 days with my direct clients is the norm (apart from one who has 45 day terms), and it would be lovely if they paid on time, but a lot of them rarely do. It's kind of frustrating but goes with the territory.

Comment

Combine the invoicing frequency with the payment terms and see what your exposure would be - there is a big difference between 28 day payment terms on a weekly invoice and 28 day payment terms on a monthly invoice.

My current contract is invoice at the end of the month, payment terms of up to 60 days. I have no issue with that, as long as I get paid - generally they pay in under 30 days anyway, apart from the first month (setup issues, I think) and one month when they scanned my invoice and for some reason it came out blank so disappeared. (Should add that there is no agency involved in this role, so all the issues are with the client).
      Best Forum Advisor 2014
      Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
      Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

monthly invoicing with 28 day payment terms.

One of the smaller agencies I;'ve never heard of before. Best way to do credit check?

Comment

One of the smaller agencies I;'ve never heard of before. Best way to do credit check?
          Absolutely. And make sure your PCG+ is up to date - IIRC they offer a discounted credit check service as well as the "agency goes bust" insurance.
          Best Forum Advisor 2014
          Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
          Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

experian £17 or thereabouts (expensable)

Comment

Ta all. Already PCG+

Comment

When I worked direct it was 90 days or f-off (global defence company). They always did pay bang on the 90 days though and never needed chasing.
                I'm Spartacus.

Comment

Try DueDil - that's free and will give you an idea of their financial standing
                  Connect with me on LinkedIn

Follow us on Twitter.

ContractorUK Best Forum Advisor 2015

Comment

Originally posted by GillsMan View Post
                    30 days with my direct clients is the norm (apart from one who has 45 day terms), and it would be lovely if they paid on time, but a lot of them rarely do. It's kind of frustrating but goes with the territory.
                    I'd second that. I only work direct, and payment terms are typically 30 days, sometimes longer, with late payments and chasing pretty normal.

Comment

Working...
                    X