• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Majority of lorries crossing channel to France are empty as Brexit hits trade

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by GitMaster69 View Post
    We have large import surplus so it’s a good thing. We can grow our own oranges

Feck me some of you are thick. Greenhouses are a thing.

Orange Trees

Most soft fruit can be grown in the UK and frequently year round. As per the link they came from china originally, they might even sell us some.

China/FAO Citrus Symposium

New export destinations for Egyptian oranges

Bananas not so much but as they don't tend to grow mainly in Europe its hardly a monopoly. You never know they may be available in the commonwealth instead. Imagine big container ships full of fruit direct from India, Latin America and Africa not via Rotterdam.

A Brief History of Bananas / Bananas.

Bananas were originally found in South East Asia, mainly in India. They were brought west by Arab conquerors in 327 B.C. and moved from Asia Minor to Africa and finally carried to the New World by the first explorers and missionaries to the Caribbean. The mass production of bananas started in 1834 and really started exploding in the late 1880’s.1
    Before the 1870’s most of the land that bananas were grown on in the Caribbean had been previously used to grow sugar. After this time low marsh land started to be drained along with forests that were cleared in Central America for banana monocrops (which is growing one crop to increase productivity).2

In the early years of Central American banana trade the head of United Fruit had a marriage for political gain to the daughter of the Costa Rican President. This allowed hisl fruit company United Fruit to start acquiring the other fruit companies in the country. In the 1950’s when freely elected government of Guatemala threatened United Fruits control, United Fruit convinced the CIA that an overthrow was in order. The CIA placed a right-wing dictator loyal to United Fruit in power securing United Fruit’s position in Guatemala.3
    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
      Feck me some of you are thick. Greenhouses are a thing.

Orange Trees

Most soft fruit can be grown in the UK and frequently year round. As per the link they came from china originally, they might even sell us some.

China/FAO Citrus Symposium

New export destinations for Egyptian oranges

Bananas not so much but as they don't tend to grow mainly in Europe its hardly a monopoly. You never know they may be available in the commonwealth instead. Imagine big container ships full of fruit direct from India, Latin America and Africa not via Rotterdam.

A Brief History of Bananas / Bananas.
      Sorry to break it to you buddy but Brexit is and was retarded idea. You can bring as many theories as you want, it won’t change the facts. Empty trucks going OUT of the U.K. are the evidence of that
      Last edited by GitMaster69; 29 January 2021, 21:22.

Comment

Sorry to break it to you buddy but Brexit is and was retarded idea. You can bring as many theories as you want, it won’t change the facts. Empty trucks going OUT of the U.K. are the evidence of that
        People who support Brexit don't rely on facts or any sodding evidence.

Comment

Oh goody personal insults, seems you have lost the argument as usual.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
            Oh goody personal insults, seems you have lost the argument as usual.
            Sorry I miss the part where it is about you.

I don’t blame you for voting for Brexit. Politicians, anti eu propaganda and papers are to blame.

You can’t tell me anyone sane or not brainwashed would vote for their country to be smaller and less influential

Comment

I don’t blame you for voting for Brexit. Politicians, anti eu propaganda and papers are to blame.

You can’t tell me anyone sane or not brainwashed would vote for their country to be smaller and less influential
              He is a Brexiteer. EVERYTHING is about him.

Comment

Calling someone retarded even indirectly is very personal.

Comment

Originally posted by clearedforlanding View Post
                  He is a Brexiteer. EVERYTHING is about him.
                  hey he is a remoaner everything is about sucking on the motherlands teat and obeying directives.

Comment

During covid I've done some small growing in an artificial setup, there's potential with recent LED developments (China and SK absolutely dominate this sector) to revolutionise crop growing for Northern countries, especially in terms of space reduction (land required vs. crop amount). You'd like to think market dynamics would dictate we innovate in this direction to secure domestic food production, sadly I don't think it will materialize.

Comment

Originally posted by TheGreenBastard View Post
                      During covid I've done some small growing in an artificial setup, there's potential with recent LED developments (China and SK absolutely dominate this sector) to revolutionise crop growing for Northern countries, especially in terms of space reduction (land required vs. crop amount). You'd like to think market dynamics would dictate we innovate in this direction to secure domestic food production, sadly I don't think it will materialize.
                      Can you send some to me to smoke?
                      "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Working...
                      X