• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Scotland's future

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
    Except our leader has told us we will be totally done by 31st December 2020, the transition will not be allowed to take longer than that.
    Also, perhaps you forget how much was computerised when we joined the EU and how little joined-up organising was done in the early days - for businesses as well as police etc.
    There's a bit of a difference between the S/370 Model 158 that you see as cutting edge (Max 4MB main memory, AFAIK), where the information from one site was telexed to another site to be keyed in again, and modern computing.
    There's a bit of a difference between the S/370 Model 158 that you see as cutting edge (Max 4MB main memory, AFAIK), where the information from one site was telexed to another site to be keyed in again, and modern computing
    Granted, but the OS360/370 technology is still a major player in the environment. Is BACS still run on this technology? ZoS on the 3090 platform is a powerful tool, given its emulation capabilities. My current client has 16 Lpars running on one such platform and I guess there are other customers using the same machine.

Some larger organisations were already integrating in the 1970's in ways which some organisations have only achieved in recent times. The British Steel Corporation IT functions were already designing and implementing a multi switching network in the 1970's and I'm not sure that anyone else has achieved this since.

However, the HP3000 platform was much cleverer in many ways than IBM mainframe technology, but alas, as a result of market influences, hasn't survived. It's much like VHS and BetaMax. Commercial aspects can over rule technical capability.

But I digress. Whatever the politicians say, it will take some time to detach from the EU, with whatever pains ensue.

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
      Forget goods, manufacturing is only < 20% of the economy and the WA covers that in concept if not in detail (of course it would because Boris's surrender WA is good for the EU and they are most worried about goods (e.g. German cars) and the linked supply chains (e.g. wings for Airbus)).
      The WA says nothing whatsoever, in concept or detail, of the 80% of the UK economy that is services.
      Since my side of IT is in the movement of goods, it's the bit I know a little about.
      LEAN/JIT/JTL supply chain relies on goods being moved "last minute".
      If Jaguar can't get a ZF8HP45 gearbox for 2 weeks due to paperwork and customs delays, that's a minor inconvenience for a car company and an irate flat cap wearer.
      If a medical company can't get blood plasma products from manufacture to hospital within 48 hours, the product is unusable (shelf life of 72 hours).

The response from some is that it will all be fine, it will all work out OK, don't be an idiot and panic over it, everything will be OK. But never any detail on how it will be OK, when the decisions will be made, where the money is coming from to pay for it, etc.
      …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by JohntheBike View Post
        ZoS on the 3090 platform
        is not possible.
        Z/OS runs on Z/architecture processors.
        you really have NO clue at all, do you?
        just tedious, boring twaddle.

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
          There's a bit of a difference between the S/370 Model 158 that you see as cutting edge (Max 4MB main memory, AFAIK), where the information from one site was telexed to another site to be keyed in again, and modern computing.
          and the latest in the range:
          Z14 range:
          The 3906-M05 supports 256 to 32576 GB of memory, from 1 to 170 processor units (PUs), up to 16 IFB coupling fanouts, and up to 40 PCIe fanouts. The PCIe I/O drawers (#4013) house up to 160 I/O cards in support of cryptography (Crypto Express6S), the storage area network (FICON Express16S+ and IBM zHyperLink Express), the Ethernet local area network (OSA-Express6S and 10GbE RoCE Express2), Coupling Express LR, and compression (zEDC Express).

FYI
          hth

Comment

Originally posted by BR14 View Post
            Z14 range:
            The 3906-M05 supports 256 to 32576 GB of memory, from 1 to 170 processor units (PUs), up to 16 IFB coupling fanouts, and up to 40 PCIe fanouts. The PCIe I/O drawers (#4013) house up to 160 I/O cards in support of cryptography (Crypto Express6S), the storage area network (FICON Express16S+ and IBM zHyperLink Express), the Ethernet local area network (OSA-Express6S and 10GbE RoCE Express2), Coupling Express LR, and compression (zEDC Express).

FYI
            hth

Out of date as the latest in the range is the z15, up to 190 cores, up to 40TB memory and a lot of other stuff....
            Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
              Out of date as the latest in the range is the z15, up to 190 cores, up to 40TB memory and a lot of other stuff....
              Ok smartypants. Z14 is the latest i've seen in operation.
              I don't know anyone who's running a Z15 yet.
              but, unlike yourself, i don't claim to know everything.

Comment

Z14 range:

FYI
                hth

Ok smartypants. Z14 is the latest i've seen in operation.
                I don't know anyone who's running a Z15 yet.
                but, unlike yourself, i don't claim to know everything.
                I think you did...or at least attempted to

I know of a number of people running z15's and of a major ISV who has ordered quite a few. I'm currently working with a customer upgrading their OS and software in readiness for a z15 delivery in February....
                Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

is not possible.
                  Z/OS runs on Z/architecture processors.
                  you really have NO clue at all, do you?
                  just tedious, boring twaddle.
                  OK then smart ass, how can you determine that a positive packed decimal field has been initiated but never used in a calculation?

whatever number you want to assign to the box, it's still OS360/370 architecture, i.e. a packed decimal instruction format is mnemonic length 1 length 2 base register 1 displacement 1 base register 2 displacement 2

e.g. FA35B015A125
                  Last edited by JohntheBike; 2 January 2020, 13:50.

Comment

Originally posted by JohntheBike View Post
                    OK then smart ass, how can you determine that a positive packed decimal field has been initiated but never used in a calculation?

whatever number you want to assign to the box, it's still OS360/370 architecture, i.e. a packed decimal instruction format is mnemonic length 1 length 2 base register 1 displacement 1 base register 2 displacement 2

e.g. FA35B015A125
                    However you can use Vector Packed Decimal Facility which uses ARCH(12) which doesn't use OS/360-370 architecture. These instructions make use of the 32 128-bit registers to perform native packed decimal arithmetic. Previously, to handle that kind of data, a set of still-existing instructions had to use in-memory data to perform the calculations. The difference using the new set of instructions is that they use the data in the registers, eliminating the overhead required to fetch the data from different levels of cache or real memory, which will in turn slow the execution of those instructions. Also, the register operations are usually faster than operations that requires memory manipulation.

Comment

Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
                      However you can use Vector Packed Decimal Facility which uses ARCH(12) which doesn't use OS/360-370 architecture. These instructions make use of the 32 128-bit registers to perform native packed decimal arithmetic. Previously, to handle that kind of data, a set of still-existing instructions had to use in-memory data to perform the calculations. The difference using the new set of instructions is that they use the data in the registers, eliminating the overhead required to fetch the data from different levels of cache or real memory, which will in turn slow the execution of those instructions. Also, the register operations are usually faster than operations that requires memory manipulation.
                      well, from an application programmer's point of view, which is what I am, Assembler, PL/1 and COBOL programs that I wrote over 40 years ago will still run on today's IBM mainframe platforms, probably without being re-compiled. Using any of these languages, the answer to my question about the use of a packed decimal field will be the same. So what would the equivalent machine code instruction to the one I listed be in the architecture you list?

I'm still awaiting BR14's answer to my question, BTW.
                      Last edited by JohntheBike; 2 January 2020, 14:30.

Comment

Working...
                      X