• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Freedom of movement

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Zigenare View Post
    Hic puer est stultissimus omnium!
    Yep, Google is great for providing Latin quotes
    I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

Originally posted by Whorty View Post
      Yep, Google is great for providing Latin quotes
      So's having an Uncle who's a world renowned expert in Medieval History.

Hth.
      Old Greg - In search of acceptance since Mar 2007. Hoping each leap will be his last.

Comment

Hth.
        Not JRM then? Morologus es! Although I prefer LMAA...
        Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Originally posted by meridian View Post
          The Withdrawal Agreement fulfils both the vote, and the red lines set by May and cheered on by the Brexiters.

Legally, the U.K. will have left the EU. It’s not in dispute, it’s not “doesn’t mean actually leaving”, it’s a fact - once the WA is approved and the relevant legislation is passed, the U.K. will no longer be in the EU.

You’ve said you want to leave the EU by any means possible, this is one of those means.
          But fully bound by its rules, and under the jurisdiction of the ECJ, no say over fishing rights in UK waters, unable to pursue any trade deals, and no guarantee of any trade deal with the EU. It's the sh!ttiest deal in history. The point of leaving was to have none of those restrictions, and while we're still technically handcuffed to the EU I don't consider to have "left".
          His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Hth.
            I had an uncle, sadly passed away now, who was black belt in karate and used to teach locally (I seem to recall he was 5th dan) - didn't stop me from windmilling in then when I got into my frequent scraps in school

Comment

Originally posted by Mordac View Post
              But fully bound by its rules, and under the jurisdiction of the ECJ, no say over fishing rights in UK waters, unable to pursue any trade deals, and no guarantee of any trade deal with the EU. It's the sh!ttiest deal in history. The point of leaving was to have none of those restrictions, and while we're still technically handcuffed to the EU I don't consider to have "left".
              And there was me thinking "Leave means leave". The people voted to not be members of the EU anymore. May's deal would have left us not members of the EU, EXACTLY as voted for in 2016.

Comment

Hth.
                I had an uncle, sadly passed away now, who was black belt in karate and used to teach locally (I seem to recall he was 5th dan) - didn't stop me from windmilling in then when I got into my frequent scraps in school
                my uncle's cat had exceptionally large testicles.

Comment

Originally posted by BR14 View Post
                  my uncle's cat had exceptionally large testicles.
                  If only you had a big pair we'd take you more seriously

Comment

If only you had a big pair we'd take you more seriously
                    if only you knew.

Comment

Originally posted by Mordac View Post
                      Looks like you’ve swallowed a pack of lies.

Fully bound by rules and the ECJ for the period of transition only, while we get our house in order. Same for fishing (though I don’t know why Brexiters keep banging on about fishing, it’s de minimus). We can pursue trade deals, just not sign them, so of course we can get them ready to sign on the first day after transition ends.

“No guarantee of any trade deal with the EU”? That’s an odd one, there’s no guarantee of anything anyway. Firstly, you wanted the U.K. to walk alone, but now you’re fretting over not having any guarantee of a trade deal? Secondly, that was the point of the transition period, to negotiate the future relationship. Easing out of the EU, rather than crashing out.

After transition, the U.K. would then be as you want it - no longer bound by the ECJ, able to make your own trade deals (with all the compromises that go with them, of course...). If the U.K. went the way that you wanted (EFTA) then the backstop doesn’t need to be triggered.

Still, I’m sure you know what you’re doing.

Comment

Working...
                      X