• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Does anyone believe a general election could happen soon after Brexit?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does anyone believe a general election could happen soon after Brexit?

Imagine going to the polls Thursday 7th November(not that elections have to be held on a Thursday). There is bound to be severe disruption. Who would vote Tory then?

BoJo may or may not be mad but I don't think he is suicidal.

I think the shortest so far is 119 days Records of Prime Ministers of the United Kingdom - Wikipedia

BoJo became PM on 24th July. Plus 119 days is November 20th. So he will want to last that long....

Talk is of the following. (Cummings master plan)

Vote of no confidence in September. Govt loses.
    BoJo refuses to step down as PM.
    Calls GE for early Nov.
    Let's us crash out with no deal on 31 Oct.

Comment

Because of the Fixed Term Parliament Act...

The Fixed-term Parliaments Act 2011 provides for general elections to be held on the first Thursday in May every five years. There are two provisions that trigger an election other than at five-year intervals:
      • A motion of no confidence is passed in Her Majesty's Government by a simple majority and 14 days elapses without the House passing a confidence motion in any new Government formed
      • A motion for a general election is agreed by two thirds of the total number of seats in the Commons including vacant seats (currently 434 out of 65)

So, would they get either a no confidence vote or a 2/3 majority?
      If we have crashed out with no deal, BoJo would like a GE so he can fail to form a government and force someone else to run the country for a while.
      …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
        Imagine going to the polls Thursday 7th November(not that elections have to be held on a Thursday). There is bound to be severe disruption. Who would vote Tory then?
        Out of interest, why do you think there is bound to be severe disruption?

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
          So, would they get either a no confidence vote (highly likely if we're heading for no deal) or a 2/3 majority (highly unlikely)?
          Govt only has a majority of 1, and there are at least a handful of Tories who would bring down the Govt if BoJo sets us on a course for no deal.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post

BoJo may or may not be mad but I don't think he is suicidal.

I think the shortest so far is 119 days Records of Prime Ministers of the United Kingdom - Wikipedia

BoJo became PM on 24th July. Plus 119 days is November 20th. So he will want to last that long....
            31 October is one potential election date. Too late to stop Brexit, too early for the disruption to set in.

Comment

Originally posted by meridian View Post
              Out of interest, why do you think there is bound to be severe disruption?
              Backlogs of lorries bringing jam, tea and biscuits to British ports for export to a grateful Empire 2.0.

Comment

My bet is that this government doesn't last until the end of the year... so I would say elections until end of Jan 2020
                "The boy who cried Sheep"

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
                  31 October is one potential election date. Too late to stop Brexit, too early for the disruption to set in.
                  And that's exactly the date I'd choose. BoJo can say he's delivering Brexit. Polls close at 10pm. We leave the EU at 11pm. Although I think he'll go for November 7th because some fool said that there won't be a GE before Brexit, and technically 31/10 is before Brexit.

Comment

Originally posted by CryingSheep View Post
                    My bet is that this government doesn't last until the end of the year... so I would say elections until end of Jan 2020
                    That's hardly a "bet" now is it? Of course there will be a GE well before the end of the year: Boris will want / need a majority in the house to create the new environment in which the UK will thrive outside the EU.

Comment

Working...
                    X