• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Chances of Brexit being reversed are one in three, says EU president Donald Tusk

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by meridian View Post
    Good idea. At the same, why not have an EU-wide referendum on whether the U.K. should stay or go?
    If there was, the EU would just make everyone keep voting until they voted for the correct result.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
      If there was, the EU would just make everyone keep voting until they voted for the correct result.
      “The EU”. Lol. Some nebulous entity “over there”.

What do you think the “right result” would be?

Comment

The right result will always be the result most desired by those deciding on what the right result is.

But first we must have a referendum on whether we should have a referendum to decide if we should have a referendum on whether the UK should leave the EU or stay in the EU. That way we it will be clear that everyone knew what they were voting for.

Comment

“The EU”. Lol. Some nebulous entity “over there”.

Its not what I think. Its what the EU thinks. And that would be for the UK to stay.

And after the last 3 years I would not object to the UK staying.

Comment

Its not what I think. Its what the EU thinks. And that would be for the UK to stay.

And after the last 3 years I would not object to the UK staying.
            I’m no longer so sure about that.

This micro-thread started from your post about the UK holding a referendum on Scotland leaving; if the EU held one to force the UK out, presumably that would be acceptable? (I mean personally, not legally - it’s not possible under current treaties)

Comment

I’m no longer so sure about that.

This micro-thread started from your post about the UK holding a referendum on Scotland leaving; if the EU held one to force the UK out, presumably that would be acceptable? (I mean personally, not legally - it’s not possible under current treaties)
              I don't see why the EU should not boot out anyone they don't want.

To pick an extreme example, suppose a country re-introduced the death penalty? Surely booting them out would be acceptable?

I do appreciate that the EU generally tries to make things work.

Comment

I don't see why the EU should not boot out anyone they don't want.

To pick an extreme example, suppose a country re-introduced the death penalty? Surely booting them out would be acceptable?

I do appreciate that the EU generally tries to make things work.
                Im guessing that this comes down to a fundamental non-understanding of who “the EU” is, and how it works.

Do you see “the EU” as a small cabal of unelected dictators? Or do you see it as a co-operative of 28 countries with elected representatives?

(Or somewhere in between)

Comment

Im guessing that this comes down to a fundamental non-understanding of who “the EU” is, and how it works.

Do you see “the EU” as a small cabal of unelected dictators? Or do you see it as a co-operative of 28 countries with elected representatives?

(Or somewhere in between)
                  I see it as somewhere in between. In particular, I see it as over bureaucratic. The annual trek between Luxembourg and Strasbourg is ridiculous. I think the pace of integration is much too fast and is swinging away from elected representatives to dictators. However, that may be for the best. And, of course, the UK government is far more dictatorial than the EU - I think the last 3 years have exposed that. While the UK is stuck with people who think they can only vote for 2 parties then the UK is doomed - inside or outside the EU.

Of course those are purely my personal opinion. Others may well disagree. And I have reached the stage now where I would support anything that would bring the UK closer. But it is hard to see what.

Comment

Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
                    Was that written on the side of a bus
                    I'm glad you brought that up.

"We send the EU £350 Million a week
                    Let's fund the NHS instead Vote Leave"
                    Last edited by Zigenare; 14 May 2019, 11:55.
                    Old Greg - In search of acceptance since Mar 2007. Hoping each leap will be his last.

Comment

Originally posted by Zigenare View Post
                      "We send the EU £350 Million a week
                      Let's fund the NHS instead Vote Leave"
                      And do you consider £350m a week accurate?

Comment

Working...
                      X