• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Plans to evacuate Queen if brexit goes ugly are ready

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by original PM View Post
    "lampposts and pitchforks" gets exactly one hit on google, so probably it's not generally used at all.

Lamposts

Where, if anywhere, does the quote, 'if the American people knew what we have done, they would string us up from the lamp posts,' by George H.W. Bush come from? - Quora

Pitchforks

Torches and Pitchforks - TV Tropes

Never said used at the same time - but if some (incredibly well read and educated person) says lampposts and pitchforks you will know what they mean

Everyday is a school day!

I'm confused now. Did we know what you mean, that you wanted to "string an MP up from a lamppost"? Or did we get that wrong?

I get that you expressed regret for posting it earlier, and fair play to you for that. But that was the time to just walk away from the thread instead of digging yourself deeper.
    Last edited by meridian; 5 February 2019, 08:27.

Comment

The term 'lampposts and pitchforks' is generally used to mean people will get their comeuppance and be held accountable for their actions

Yes it is based on the hanging of people from lampposts and people then running them through with pitchforks but I think everyone clearly knows that someone using this terms is not actually implying people should be hung from lampposts and then run through with pitchforks.

I mean some people desperately need that but it is not really any of the MPs or MEPs
      "lampposts and pitchforks" gets exactly one hit on google, so probably it's not generally used at all.

Lamposts

Where, if anywhere, does the quote, 'if the American people knew what we have done, they would string us up from the lamp posts,' by George H.W. Bush come from? - Quora

Pitchforks

Torches and Pitchforks - TV Tropes

Never said used at the same time - but if some (incredibly well read and educated person) says lampposts and pitchforks you will know what they mean

Everyday is a school day!

Can you see how you've made a mess of things? Have a read through the posts above and tell us where you went wrong.

Every day (NB two words) is a school day!

Comment

Originally posted by meridian View Post
        I'm confused now. Did we know what you mean, that you wanted to "string an MP up from a lamppost"? Or did we get that wrong?

I get that you expressed regret for posting it earlier, and fair play to you for that. But that was the time to just walk away from the thread instead of digging yourself deeper.
        Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
        Can you see how you've made a mess of things? Have a read through the posts above and tell us where you went wrong.

Every day (NB two words) is a school day!
        It is just a phrase used by people I have met which just really means there will be a lynch mob - who may hang people from lampposts or who may run them through with pitchforks.

Although I had hoped everyone would see that neither option is acceptable or expected to literally happen.

So apologies for using colloquialisms from my little corner of the earth.

Indeed it is

Everyday vs. Every Day: What’s the Difference? - Writing Explained

Comment

It is just a phrase used by people I have met which just really means there will be a lynch mob - who may hang people from lampposts or who may run them through with pitchforks.

Although I had hoped everyone would see that neither option is acceptable or expected to literally happen.

Which is it? Really means? Or colloquialism?

FFS, when you're in a hole you need to stop digging.

Comment

Indeed it is

Everyday vs. Every Day: What’s the Difference? - Writing Explained
            'Just really means.....'
            Is that a common thing in your experience ?
            When freedom comes along, don't PISH in the water supply.....

Comment

Originally posted by meridian View Post
              Which is it? Really means? Or colloquialism?

FFS, when you're in a hole you need to stop digging.
              Originally posted by TestMangler View Post
              'Just really means.....'
              Is that a common thing in your experience ?
              Ok so there is this thing called a thesaurus.

if you look at it the word just is interchangeable with the word merely when used in the context - so it 'merely means a lynch mob' is a perfectly acceptable alternative to just in that context.

Obviously using the phrase 'merely really' does not work so well.

colloquialism

noun
              a word or phrase that is not formal or literary and is used in ordinary or familiar conversation.
              "the colloquialisms of the streets"
              the use of colloquialisms.
              "speech allows for colloquialism and slang"

So I used some slang/informal speech which we use around here which you guys were not aware of.

Comment

"Plans to evacuate Queen if brexit goes ugly are ready"

If you evacuate a building, you remove its occupants. If you evacuate a person, you give them an enema.

Comment

Originally posted by Batcher View Post
                  "Plans to evacuate Queen if brexit goes ugly are ready"

If you evacuate a building, you remove its occupants. If you evacuate a person, you give them an enema.
                  They should try that on Phil first...
                  His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Working...
                  X