• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Post-Brexit immigration fears

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stop repatriation now!

"A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by meridian View Post
      Who said deport? The phrase is “right to reside”.

If you’re arguing that Brits still have a right to reside after Brexit, go ahead and state your case.
      It will be granted. British expats are an economic boon to European countries and they will concede, I'm sure of it.

Comment

Post-Brexit immigration fears

Originally posted by TwoWolves View Post
        It will be granted. British expats are an economic boon to European countries and they will concede, I'm sure of it.
        You misspelled “immigrants”.

Is that like EU migrants are an economic boon to the UK?

Comment

Originally posted by meridian View Post
          You misspelled “immigrants”.

Is that like EU migrants are an economic boon to the UK?
          Stop being so tediously obtuse.

Are you seriously suggesting that the EU will not apply reciprocity to our expats?

And that is a club you are happy to be part of?

What is wrong with you?

“The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
            Stop being so tediously obtuse.

Are you seriously suggesting that the EU will not apply reciprocity to our expats?

And that is a club you are happy to be part of?

What is wrong with you?

Quite the opposite, I’m suggesting that the EU will apply reciprocity.

What you need to ask yourself is how the UK treats foreign expats that live here. If you’re happy with that, then you’re happy with whatever visas, hostile environments, vans saying go home Brits, etc that may come.

Comment

Originally posted by TwoWolves View Post
              Not quite true. Many pensioners retired in Spain when it was cheap to do so. Since that time the UK state pension has dropped to one of the lowest in the EU and there are many pensioners in Spain relying on Spain's social security system.

Even if the OAPs can stay in Spain, their benefits and healthcare will no longer be free. They will want to come back to the UK.

Conversely, the UK has young working EU people that are generally not a burden.

Some Eastern block countries are making preparations to receive the retune of thousands of their workers after March next year.
              "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Bungalow prices to go through the roof as they don't build them anymore. Still time to sell that crappy flat above the kebab shop that will be unletable once the EU workers go home, and put the money into what will be in demand soon.
                Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

Comment

The British who live in the EU like myself legally had to register after 3 months and apply for a residency card.
                  It took me about 4 months in 2016 to become Belgian as I had been a resident since 2003.
                  EU nationals have no legal requirement to register at the city hall.As a British citizen , I have only been on a voters roll for 1 year of my working life. There must be a lot of EU citizens who have no documented evidence of living in the UK.

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Contractor UK Forum mobile app

Comment

Why is the government speaking about British expats but EU immigrants?
                    They are British emigrants, expats usually live a short period of time abroad for a contract or job and return after a couple of years

Comment

Originally posted by Eirikur View Post
                      Why is the government speaking about British expats but EU immigrants?
                      They are British emigrants, expats usually live a short period of time abroad for a contract or job and return after a couple of years
                      Feck me! - you still here, cloggie? no camper vans cheap enough for your budget then?

Comment

Working...
                      X