• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Brexit, great for reducing net migration

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Eirikur View Post
    Net migration stays the same. Instead of white people brown people are now coming, I'm sure that's exactly what the racist brexit voters wanted
    The underlying reason for 'leave' voters wanting to curb immigration was the affect it has on wage suppression, local resources, and yes the overall threat to national identity by vastly different foreign cultures with whole areas of the UK changing by this new type of 'invasion'.

This problem isn't just within the UK but also other EU nations and also the USA. Globalisation is leading to protectionism on multiple levels, one being the exploitation of 'them and us' by right wing extremists. We know where that led to in 1920s Germany yet they are repeating the same mistakes by not listening to the people.

It is human nature to feel more comfortable within a community you identify with so easy for protectionists to stoke friction between cultures when things seem out of balance.

This problem will not be solved until there is one predominant non-religion based culture throughout the world. That's many hundreds of years away unless aliens arrive and speed up the process.
    Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

Comment

Originally posted by Eirikur View Post
      Net migration stays the same. Instead of white people brown people are now coming, I'm sure that's exactly what the racist brexit voters wanted
      Leave.EU were tweeting yesterday, after this news came out, about how this is terrible given that we voted to end free movement.

FFS. We voted to leave the EU, with the consequence that Free Movement of Workers from the EU would end. Absolutely dick all in that vote about ending the migration of non-EU people. Its just that campaigning for a vote to end all foreigners would have had less support.

As a nation, we have an increasing number of pensions and have a load of lazy feckless fatties who don't want to work at all, because the benefits are so great. Far better to bring in Romanians to stuff chickens and pick lettuces. We *need* migration to pay the taxes for those benefits and pensions. I doubt those 'voluntary unemployed' will be standing up to work in my local hand car wash once the immigrants have stopped coming.

Making Eastern Europeans feel unwelcome because of their cheap labour has occurred, but even cheaper labour from Asia will simply fill the space instead.
      Taking a break from contracting

Comment

Where's the political party campaigning for the end of exploitation through cheap labour that leads to slave like conditions, such as HMOs where shifts of people timeshare bunks?

The point of the common market prior to the EU superstate project and freedom of movement was that they could do the work in their own countries and sell us the resulting produce, not have to come here to do the work at slave labour rates. Where did it go wrong?
        Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

Comment

Originally posted by Hobosapien View Post
          Where's the political party campaigning for the end of exploitation through cheap labour that leads to slave like conditions, such as HMOs where shifts of people timeshare bunks?

The point of the common market prior to the EU superstate project and freedom of movement was that they could do the work in their own countries and sell us the resulting produce, not have to come here to do the work at slave labour rates. Where did it go wrong?
          HMOs - UK government laws?
          Wage rates - UK government laws?

Will this end with Brexit? Doubt it.

Comment

Originally posted by meridian View Post
            HMOs - UK government laws?
            Wage rates - UK government laws?

Will this end with Brexit? Doubt it.
            Exactly. Brexit is a soap opera distraction to stop people worrying about the looming GFC 2.0. A few billion is nothing when trillions will be wiped out due to kicking the debt can too far down the road.

They failed to fix the roof while the sun was shining. Now the whole house needs demolishing. 'No deal' during a global recession is as good a time as any.

Comment

Originally posted by chopper View Post
              Leave.EU were tweeting yesterday, after this news came out, about how this is terrible given that we voted to end free movement.

FFS. We voted to leave the EU, with the consequence that Free Movement of Workers from the EU would end. Absolutely dick all in that vote about ending the migration of non-EU people. Its just that campaigning for a vote to end all foreigners would have had less support.

As a nation, we have an increasing number of pensions and have a load of lazy feckless fatties who don't want to work at all, because the benefits are so great. Far better to bring in Romanians to stuff chickens and pick lettuces. We *need* migration to pay the taxes for those benefits and pensions. I doubt those 'voluntary unemployed' will be standing up to work in my local hand car wash once the immigrants have stopped coming.

Making Eastern Europeans feel unwelcome because of their cheap labour has occurred, but even cheaper labour from Asia will simply fill the space instead.
              Romanians tend to be well educated but will do any job for money. They tend to be hard working and reliable.
              "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Working...
              X