• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The Rock

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Rock

Brexit: May gives way over Gibraltar after Spain's 'veto' threat

Theresa May has given way to Madrid’s demands over the future of Gibraltar after the Spanish prime minister threatened to “veto” the Brexit deal due to be signed off by EU leaders on Sunday.

On the eve of Sunday’s special Brexit summit, the British ambassador to the EU, Sir Tim Barrow, wrote to concede that Gibraltar would not necessarily be covered by a future trade deal with the EU.

The move appears to have solved the final issue in the Brexit negotiations. The Spanish leader, Pedro Sánchez, had demanded a written assurance as the price for his support for the withdrawal agreement and accompanying political declaration on the future relationship.

Brexit: May gives way over Gibraltar after Spain's 'veto' threat | Politics | The Guardian

Sarg ShaunBhoy - report to your local barracks, bring your own potato peeler!

Originally posted by AtW View Post
    Brexit: May gives way over Gibraltar after Spain's 'veto' threat

Theresa May has given way to Madrid’s demands over the future of Gibraltar after the Spanish prime minister threatened to “veto” the Brexit deal due to be signed off by EU leaders on Sunday.

On the eve of Sunday’s special Brexit summit, the British ambassador to the EU, Sir Tim Barrow, wrote to concede that Gibraltar would not necessarily be covered by a future trade deal with the EU.

The move appears to have solved the final issue in the Brexit negotiations. The Spanish leader, Pedro Sánchez, had demanded a written assurance as the price for his support for the withdrawal agreement and accompanying political declaration on the future relationship.

Brexit: May gives way over Gibraltar after Spain's 'veto' threat | Politics | The Guardian

Sarg ShaunBhoy - report to your local barracks, bring your own potato peeler!
    The Spanish p[rime minister could threaten all he wanted. He never had or held any "veto" over the Brexit deal. Yet more clap trap, sensationalist, weak, trashy journalism.

Comment

Originally posted by Yorkie62 View Post
      The Spanish p[rime minister could threaten all he wanted. He never had or held any "veto" over the Brexit deal. Yet more clap trap, sensationalist, weak, trashy journalism.
      It's tiresome that I have to repeat the obvious to cretins - he got veto about future deal with UK, which will have to be accepted by all member states, all of them will have veto.

Transition will be only 21 months, not 21 years, so in effect Spain got veto over current withdrawal deal, which is why May caved it (again).

Comment

Geopolitics. Gibraltar was seized by the British at a moment of British strength. This is a moment of British weakness so concessions are being made and Gibraltar is betrayed. Bad for self determination but that is a consequence of gammonism.

Comment

Not to worry - JRM and Boris will revive fine British tradition of privateers...

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
            This is a moment of British weakness so concessions are being made and Gibraltar is betrayed.
            But YOU said that Gibraltar wished to REMAIN in the EU. Looks like they may get their prayers answered by this weak woman that we have ended up with.

“The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
              But YOU said that Gibraltar wished to REMAIN in the EU.
              No I didn't, you cretin. It is once again apparent why you ended up in the Catering Corps.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
                No I didn't, you cretin. It is once again apparent why you ended up in the Catering Corps.
                They told him he will be part of the mobile unit!

Comment

Most of the 1 million UK expat community have paid UK tax at some point of time in their working life but some like me were denied the vote.
                  The Gibraltains don't pay UK tax so their vote is irrelevant .

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Contractor UK Forum mobile app

Comment

Originally posted by Brussels Slumdog View Post
                    Most of the 1 million UK expat community have paid UK tax at some point of time in their working life but some like me were denied the vote.
                    The Gibraltains don't pay UK tax so their vote is irrelevant .

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Contractor UK Forum mobile app
                    FFS

Comment

Working...
                    X