• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Relax and get over it!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Relax and get over it!

Britain’s middle-class Brexit Anxiety Disorder – POLITICO

For Britain’s pro-European middle classes, Brexit is akin to a psychological trauma which has left many unable to behave rationally, according to two leading experts. Far from being hyper-rational observers concerned only with what is economically sensible, many have morphed into the “Remainiacs” of Brexiteer disdain.

They are acting no differently to what psychologists would expect from those suffering from chronic anxiety caused by loss of control and insecurity, Dr. Philip Corr, professor of psychology and behavioral economics at the University of London, and Dr. Simon Stuart, a clinical psychologist, told POLITICO.
    Bless.

“The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Subscribe to read | Financial Times

Some pragmatic observations from the FT. Of course what do THEY know?

A comprehensive free trade agreement between the UK and Europe is clearly desirable. However, whatever the short term uncertainties, the UK has enduring strengths that means it can prosper as a trading nation under any scenario. The comfort and confidence for global firms of our language, legal system, stable democracy and absence of corruption remain huge competitive advantages that have made the UK a favoured location for inward investment. They are as powerful as ever. We have been, and remain, a remarkable source of innovation: from biotech to the creative arts. And the UK is a world leader in high value, problem-solving services — such as engineering, consultancy, legal and financial services — that drive domestic economies and trade.
    Of course the EU is a major trading partner, and will remain so under any outcome. While failure to agree a free-trade agreement would undoubtedly create short-term disruption for sectors where EU tariffs and regulatory barriers could be damaging — automotive and food processing for example — most trade is likely to continue regardless. The average EU tariff on the goods we sell to them is just 4.3 per cent; far less than recent fluctuations in the exchange rate. So long as the UK continues to meet local regulations, EU buyers who have chosen to buy UK products will not stop. The bloc is a huge consumer of imports from other non-EU countries like the US and Japan.
    Although regulatory barriers could be an issue in the UK’s important financial services sector, initial concerns about the risks to the City of London are moderating as it becomes clear no other European city can replicate the depth of capital, liquidity and expertise that London has as the pre-eminent global financial centre in the European timezone. Restrictions on EU trade will inevitably mean some jobs move to hubs within the eurozone. But London’s growth and importance is likely to continue.
    Is that the sound of some of our resident Bremoaners putting aside their comfort blankets?

“The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
      Not being a subscriber I can't see whether this is the 'FT' or some op-ed you've cherry picked. Either way, it's a step up for you, PosterBhoy.

However the problem is it talks about positive things without commenting on the crux of the argument: wouldn't we have had all this and a lot more if people hadn't thrown a giant Brexit shaped hammer into the works?

Your view of life is a bit like the working class dad who comes home on a Thursday and tells his wife he's lost all his weekly pay on a bet (used to happen when I worked in the Rubber Factory). She bursts into tears but he says "Look, the boys are healthy and walking to school for a week instead of going on the bus will be good exercise. And you're a great cook - ingenious with bags of rice and who can match your bread and butter pudding from stale loaves?"

It's all very well looking on the bright side, PosterBhoy, but really - you've got to stop your gambling! That's the best way to stop losing.
      "Don't part with your illusions; when they are gone you may still exist, but you have ceased to live" Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Cirrus View Post
        Not being a subscriber I can't see whether this is the 'FT' or some op-ed you've cherry picked. Either way, it's a step up for you, PosterBhoy.

However the problem is it talks about positive things without commenting on the crux of the argument: wouldn't we have had all this and a lot more if people hadn't thrown a giant Brexit shaped hammer into the works?
        Well I suppose you could GAMBLE that we might have ended up with that, but who really knows?

really - you've got to stop your gambling! That's the best way to stop losing.
        Maybe it is time to perhaps practise what you preach?

Comment

Did you get a call out today to clean toilets in a bank?

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
            Did you get a call out today to clean toilets in a bank?
            Rumour was that the vending machine in the officers' mess was out of crunchies.

Comment

Well I suppose you could GAMBLE that we might have ended up with that, but who really knows?

Maybe it is time to perhaps practise what you preach?

Shaunbaby if you don't know what to post better shut the F up and continue clean Indian toilets

Comment

Originally posted by Eirikur View Post
                Shaunbaby if you don't know what to post better shut the F up and continue clean Indian toilets
                chronic anxiety caused by loss of control and insecurity
                In a nutshell.................

Comment

Your view of life is a bit like the working class dad who comes home on a Thursday and tells his wife he's lost all his weekly pay on a bet (used to happen when I worked in the Rubber Factory). She bursts into tears but he says "Look, the boys are healthy and walking to school for a week instead of going on the bus will be good exercise. And you're a great cook - ingenious with bags of rice and who can match your bread and butter pudding from stale loaves?"

It's all very well looking on the bright side, PosterBhoy, but really - you've got to stop your gambling! That's the best way to stop losing.
                  We may well have got a lot more

Maybe 27 other countries telling us who we could trade with is one thing we could have got.

But the crux for me is that we have not just gambled a weeks wages and lost the lot that analogy is rubbish but it does highlight the desperate wailing as being exactly what is described by the FT.

I do understand the frustration of those who voted to stay - it was seen as nailed on and only a few people in the UK would vote Brexit so nothing to worry about.

But that did not happen and I think for those who wanted to stay it is not just about leaving the EU, it is about how they now realise they were and possibly still are quite out of touch with a large portion of the British population.

But what makes it worse I think is these people feel they are just better than other people and so struggle to accept the result because they do not really value the opinion of people they deem to be beneath them.

We started an agile/digital project in April 2016 - which meant we had a lot of 'millennials' but what I mean is people under 35 ish.

They all voted to remain and when I said I was going the other way there was no acceptance of my point of view - they said that I was wrong and need to go and see a doctor to be cured - and that attitude is scary - especially as some of these people have kids.

In addition we also had an Amercian who was very anti Trump - so it was a fun few months.

Comment

Originally posted by original PM View Post
                    Maybe 27 other countries telling us who we could trade with is one thing we could have got.
                    Original, I've only got has far as your second sentence and you've lost me.

Haven't you notice people constantly posting 'Narnia'? Don't you get what they mean?

They mean there are no other countries we can trade with. There are no other products or services we can magic up. Exiting EU trade relationships just means we have to repalce them. Not only does everyone think it will be a big struggle to replicate them, a lot of people fear we'll be bullied (eg India labour access, Australasian/America low grade agricultural products etc).

So yes mate - you lost your pay packet. But, hey ho, you gamblers are used to that. Water off a duck's back.
                    "Don't part with your illusions; when they are gone you may still exist, but you have ceased to live" Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
                    X