• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Tory MPs protest against Brexit

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mordac View Post
    Well soon we'll be able to charge them full rates for said fish. They've been getting it for next to nothing* for the last 40 years, so we'll wait and see how much they miss their rollmops...

*Next to nothing, defined under the Common Fisheries Policy as "absolutely f*** all..."
    You just made that up, didn't you ?
    When freedom comes along, don't PISH in the water supply.....

Comment

Well soon we'll be able to charge them full rates for said fish. They've been getting it for next to nothing* for the last 40 years, so we'll wait and see how much they miss their rollmops...

*Next to nothing, defined under the Common Fisheries Policy as "absolutely f*** all..."
      Correction.

You cannot work out the rest for yourself.

Comment

Originally posted by TestMangler View Post
        You just made that up, didn't you ?
        Not really, the Common Fisheries Policy is not much more than a menu, without the aggravation of having to pay for the privilege. It was, with the benefit of hindsight, the most likely reason we were invited to join the EEC in 1973. A case of "all your fishes are belong to us", if you will.

Edit: And throughout most of this time, we've been paying them to help themselves to fish in our waters. FFS, which bit of this do you think is wrong?
        Last edited by Mordac; 21 March 2018, 18:42.
        His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Not really, the Common Fisheries Policy is not much more than a menu, without the aggravation of having to pay for the privilege. It was, with the benefit of hindsight, the most likely reason we were invited to join the EEC in 1973. A case of "all your fishes are belong to us", if you will.

Edit: And throughout most of this time, we've been paying them to help themselves to fish in our waters. FFS, which bit of this do you think is wrong?
          Feck me when people call you thick, they're being optimistic.
          Hard Brexit now!
          #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
            It is one of the many fascinating strands of Brexit.

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
              I respect your opinion, but I'll never understand it. I try and avoid insults for that very reason, but you clearly don't give a sh!t. You go and feck off to Brussels, and when the sh!t hits the inevitable fan, excuse me whilst I slam the door on your exit strategy back home.
              His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

I respect your opinion, but I'll never understand it. I try and avoid insults for that very reason, but you clearly don't give a sh!t. You go and feck off to Brussels, and when the sh!t hits the inevitable fan, excuse me whilst I slam the door on your exit strategy back home.
                How do you intend to do that?

Comment

“Most likely” = you made it up.

CFP quotas are mostly based on entry in 1973 when the U.K. was still fishing around Iceland, but then Iceland bullied us out of their waters in 1976. The U.K. still retains a quota based largely on those earlier figures though, which is why the U.K. quota is roughly 30% of the total EU quota even though “British” waters are only around 16% of total EU waters.

It’s way more complex than just overall quota numbers though, there are complexities in the types of fish and shellfish that are in our quotas, and the markets that we sell those fish and shellfish to. As an example, migrating fish species may or may not be in “our”waters depending on the season, whereas shellfish tend to stay in their beds. Guess where most of our shellfish catch is sold to?

That’s without even getting into the U.K. quotas being sold by our fishermen to larger EU-reg boats.

Comment

Hmmmm

https://mobile.twitter.com/otto_engl...79326538469376

Three companies own nearly two-thirds of England's fishing quota. One of those - Andrew Marr International (no relation) owns 12%. AIM backs Brexit and seems to be connected to Fishing for Leave. During the Brexit Flotilla - Farage and co were on an Andrew Marr vessel.

The Marr family is on The Times rich list. They are a big business. Sorry to bore long term followers by repeating this yet again. But it can't be said enough. AIM benefits financially from Brexit and end to quotas

They sell this narrative of humble little fishermen against evil Bob Geldof but it was bollocks. Geldof isn't on the Times Rich list... Andrew Marr the fishy people are.

Comment

https://thepinprick.com/2018/03/23/f...you-didnt-know

It makes an interesting point about the economics of fishing. The poultry industry is three times larger than the fishing industry, yet Farage/JRM et al are keen on protecting one (British quotas for “British” fish) and throwing the other under a bus (cheaper food imports).

Could it be that there are no populist photo opportunities in the second?

Comment

Working...
                      X