• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Why some Lords will be fighting to overturn a 'Hard Brexit'

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why some Lords will be fighting to overturn a 'Hard Brexit'

A reasonably truthful letter to a Lord:

I am writing to you as a British citizen to ask for your help.

We are in a situation that I would not have thought possible a year ago. We have an unelected, near-dictator as PM who is doing her utmost to evade Parliamentary scrutiny, and an Opposition not worthy of the name.

MPs are openly stating that Brexit will be a disaster, yet lack the moral fibre to oppose the Government. Former Remain MPs are widely choosing to hide behind the ‘Will of the People’ mantra, while conveniently ignoring the advisory nature of the referendum. Similarly, the fact that we live in a Parliamentary democracy that mandates MPs to act in the country’s best interests, to show judgment and leadership and not simply function as delegates, gets brushed aside.

Our PM insists that the outcome of the referendum was clear when in truth it was anything but; the country was almost equally divided and the Leave campaign has openly admitted its narrow win was only achieved by lying to the electorate, a situation which Mrs May seems happy to overlook.

In pursuing the hardest of hard Brexits, at whatever cost to the nation, Mrs May is demonstrating that she puts loyalty to the Party above loyalty to the country. She insists — wrongly — that the whole nation is united behind her and that she has a mandate for what she is doing. In this she is grossly mistaken; it is utter propaganda.

Mrs May asserts that we will leave the Single Market and that this is what we voted for. This is a fabrication; the question on the ballot paper made no reference to the Single Market and indeed both Vote Leave and the Conservative manifesto promised we would stay in the Single Market.

Likewise, we did not vote to leave the Customs Union, nor did we vote for WTO rules. This is an interpretation imposed upon us by the Government alone.

Moreover, we did not vote to destroy our currency, to lose Sterling‘s reserve status and to lose our Triple A rating.

We did not vote to become a tax haven and see our employment rights destroyed, to see the few gain at the expense of the many and to witness the destruction of the NHS.

We did not vote to break up the United Kingdom, nor did we vote for EU citizens living in Britain to be used as ‘bargaining chips’ and be subject to racist abuse.

We did not vote for our government to cosy up to dictators and threaten to remove our human rights, nor did we vote in see our environmental rights whittled away.

We did not vote for Government policy to be dictated by our rabid, tax-avoiding tabloid press.

We did not vote for the Government to treat us all, but especially our academics, scientists, business leaders and experts, with utter contempt.

Mrs May, as you are doubtless aware, threatens to destroy anything that has the audacity to question her authority. She is out of control.

I implore you, as a member of the Upper Chamber, to do your duty to save the country from this insanity, and amend, delay and block Article 50 where at all possible.
    Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
    'We have an unelected, near-dictator as PM'

Oh really......

Comment

You have an interesting definition of truthful.

And you are talking about 1 person in 60 million with no power who has sent a letter.

I sent a letter to admin. "Darmy is a really annoying twunt.". That is far more true......

Comment

So much fail in one letter

Could their toys be more out of the pram if they tried?

Originally posted by Old Greg
        I admit I'm just a lazy, lying cretinous hypocrite and must be going deaf
        ♕Keep calm & carry on♕

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
          You have an interesting definition of truthful.

And you are talking about 1 person in 60 million with no power who has sent a letter.

I sent a letter to admin. "Darmy is a really annoying twunt.". That is far more true......
          Far more representative too....
          The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

At least I'm not a loser which seems to be what the rest of the people in this thread so far are
            Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

At least I'm not a loser which seems to be what the rest of the people in this thread so far are
              According to your opinion.

Article in the Guardian. How to know if you are a jerk. When all around you are jerks.

Which makes you a Loser.....

Comment

You voted Remain. You lost. QED loser.
                The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Working...
                X