• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

6900 jobs lost!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

6900 jobs lost!

Siemens to cut 6,900 jobs worldwide - BBC News

German industrial group Siemens has announced plans to cut around 6,900 jobs worldwide mostly in its fossil fuels division.

Half of the jobs will be lost in Germany, while 1,100 will go in the rest of Europe and 1,800 in the US.

Siemens said it was confident there would be no compulsory redundancies in the UK.
    I blame Brexit!

Definitely BREXIT related.

Also, Air Berlin ( who? ) went to the wall in October, I blame BREXIT and not over-capacity in the industry and a flawed operating model.

And I had to de-ice the car windows this morning, that's caused a failure of BREXIT negotiations in my book. If I get my hands on that So-Called Negotiator David Davis.

Worse my cleaners didn't turn up this week. Probably gone home as a result of BREXIT, funny thing is though, they are Brazillian.

As we all understand. Every minor piece of bad news or change in corporate strategy is definitely 'cos of BREXIT. And every piece of positive news is "Despite BREXIT". Unemployment down again and manufacturing up this week. Despite BREXIT.

Comment

"biggest British factory, which produces small and medium industrial turbines, is in Lincoln and employs 1,500 people"

So their biggest factory in UK employs less than they sack around the world, given that in UK 90 das will be enough to "consult" about mass redundacy they can start it on 24th Dec 2018...

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
        "biggest British factory, which produces small and medium industrial turbines, is in Lincoln and employs 1,500 people"

So their biggest factory in UK employs less than they sack around the world, given that in UK 90 das will be enough to "consult" about mass redundacy they can start it on 24th Dec 2018...
        They employee 14,000 in the UK.

Comment

Originally posted by tomtomagain View Post
          They employee 14,000 in the UK.
          And they can sack them all in 90 days, probably less after Brexit.

Comment

And they can sack them all in 90 days, probably less after Brexit.
            But they won't.

Comment

Originally posted by tomtomagain View Post
              But they won't.
              Why not?

Comment

Why not?
                Because that would be irrational. And Germans aren't generally irrational.

Siemens employes over 370,000 people worldwide. Dropping 7k is a rounding error. They are almost certainly likely to expanding into other areas at the same time.

They are reducing 7k headcount primarily because they are restructuring one "small" part of their business.

Not only that but "On Thursday it said it had told employees of the cuts, which will take place over several years. " ... so most likely that a lot of the positions will go through natural attrition.

Comment

Working...
                X