• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Chlorinated Chickens are OK

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by meridian View Post
    I wasn't aware that the EU provided a centralised inspection scheme, and that "EU" regulators showed up to QM and inspect foodstuffs. Do you have a link that shows anyone other than British food regulators being responsible for checking food imports into Britain?
    See;
    Originally posted by WTFH View Post
    Thirdly: who found the problem? Well, that one is easy to answer - the EU regulators found it. They found it, they started the process to stop it.
    WTFH is much more knowledgeable than everyone else on the EU, so best to ask WTFH.

Also, single market rings a bell.....someone was telling everyone that some kind of stamping meant goods did not currently have to be checked because goods conform to EU standards or something...... again - one for WTFH I feel

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
    But it's the EU's fault.
    It has to be.
    Everything is the EU's fault, haven't you read the memo?
    See your own above quote - either the regulators are meant to have been checking this all along and they didn't, or it's someone elses' responsibility (I believe earlier you said it was the supermarkets?)

which is it? Cake & eat it?
    Originally posted by Old Greg
    I admit I'm just a lazy, lying cretinous hypocrite and must be going deaf
    ♕Keep calm & carry on♕

Comment

Originally posted by woohoo View Post
      Putting a tariff on imported goods only hurts the consumer. The consumer ends up subsidizing the farmer or car maker in affect (which you might want).

You are right services are really important to our economy, it's something we do well, services are to us as car making is to Germany. It's more about barriers, certifications and requirements etc for services. But making it difficult to buy our services also hurts the EU, they lose out on world class services that other countries can take advantage of.
      UK doesn't sell services, UK based companies do, most of them are not even British and none of them owes any allegiance to the state.

They will and some have already done cost analysis for relocating their operations to a EU member state and the current outlook is not bright for the UK.

Relocating services is much easier than relocating car manufacturing.

Comment

Originally posted by Bean View Post
        See;

WTFH is much more knowledgeable than everyone else on the EU, so best to ask WTFH.

Also, single market rings a bell.....someone was telling everyone that some kind of stamping meant goods did not currently have to be checked because goods conform to EU standards or something...... again - one for WTFH I feel

See your own above quote - either the regulators are meant to have been checking this all along and they didn't, or it's someone elses' responsibility (I believe earlier you said it was the supermarkets?)

which is it? Cake & eat it?
        You're confusing regulators (people setting regulations) with inspectors (people doing the inspections).

Comment

WTFH and yourself are confusing regulators (people setting regulations) with inspectors (people doing the inspections).
          FTFY
          Yes, we are a bit aren't we.

(Post #33 - I state both though)

Although the single market comment stands. Surely the 'beef' has been stamped by someone with the authority to say it conforms to EU standards - and it wouldn't be the country importing it would it?
          ♕Keep calm & carry on♕

Comment

FTFY
            Yes, we are a bit aren't we.

(Post #33 - I state both though)
            That's great, then you're able to understand and acknowledge that EU regulators set the regulations and provide guidance, but it's up to the UK Food Standards Agency to carry out the inspections.

The FSA on their website makes it clear that they inspect food produced both in the EU and in the U.K. on a risk basis (i.e. where there is a perceived risk. This means that there will be instances where contaminated food slips through - horse meat is one example, but so are the many instances of bleached chicken intended as dog food but sold on.

It's not an EU conspiracy, it's just risk-based inspections where there is always a chance that an issue will slip through. And those inspections are completely the responsibility of the UK government agency.

Comment

Chlorinated Chickens are OK

Although the single market comment stands. Surely the 'beef' has been stamped by someone with the authority to say it conforms to EU standards - and it wouldn't be the country importing it would it?
              No, food labelling only needs to conform to EU labelling directives - in short, it has to be on the inside what the label says on the outside.

Not every pack of meat can be inspected for conformity, that would not be feasible with the sheer volume of trade. Conformity relies on sampling and risk, but mostly on business reputation - most businesses know the impact of cocking it up in terms of fines and reputational loss so the overwhelming majority of quality inspections are in-house rather than regulatory.

Comment

That's great, then you're able to understand and acknowledge that EU regulators set the regulations and provide guidance, but it's up to the UK Food Standards Agency to carry out the inspections.

The FSA on their website makes it clear that they inspect food produced both in the EU and in the U.K. on a risk basis (i.e. where there is a perceived risk. This means that there will be instances where contaminated food slips through - horse meat is one example, but so are the many instances of bleached chicken intended as dog food but sold on.

It's not an EU conspiracy, it's just risk-based inspections where there is always a chance that an issue will slip through. And those inspections are completely the responsibility of the UK government agency.
                (My original comment[#33] was in response to WTFH blaming supermarkets[#32], which I asked about regulators/inspectors - and WTFH then took that as an attack on the EU, rather than a question on who should be checking it)

Yes, see post #36 where I say Irish (but said regulators instead of inspectors) - hint, it's WTFH that said 'EU regulators' found the issue first [#35], not me.

I also stated [#36], that the EU had said;
                "Constant vigilance from operators and competent authorities towards economically motivated fraud, that can be perpetrated at any step of the food supply chain is needed.""

So 'any step' includes the site of origin/production - not just the importing country (so your comments may still be true, but the EU wants that to change and then it won't solely be down to the FSA)

You talk about risk-basis - could you tell me what % risk you think the FSA determined EU-origin meat, and what may have led them to that figure?
                (I'm thinking it was a low %, due to the single market and conformity, and reasons you listed too)
                ♕Keep calm & carry on♕

Comment

ok back to the main topic, who is looking forward to a Sunday roast of chlorinated chicken ?

Milan.

Comment

Originally posted by milanbenes View Post
                    ok back to the main topic, who is looking forward to a Sunday roast of chlorinated chicken ?

Milan.
                    Select from
                    Worldwide chicken eaters

Where
                    chicken in fridge = chlorinated American chicken

and
                    sunday roast planned = yes

Seriously though;
                    https://fullfact.org/europe/does-eu-...SAAEgICWfD_BwE

Apparently the EU says it has no concerns over the process, so why is everyone so up in arms? Do they know about 'Protective atmosphere' gas with regards to making beef looking redder?
                    ♕Keep calm & carry on♕

Comment

(My original comment[#33] was in response to WTFH blaming supermarkets[#32], which I asked about regulators/inspectors - and WTFH then took that as an attack on the EU, rather than a question on who should be checking it)

Yes, see post #36 where I say Irish (but said regulators instead of inspectors) - hint, it's WTFH that said 'EU regulators' found the issue first [#35], not me.

I also stated [#36], that the EU had said;
                      "Constant vigilance from operators and competent authorities towards economically motivated fraud, that can be perpetrated at any step of the food supply chain is needed.""

So 'any step' includes the site of origin/production - not just the importing country (so your comments may still be true, but the EU wants that to change and then it won't solely be down to the FSA)

You talk about risk-basis - could you tell me what % risk you think the FSA determined EU-origin meat, and what may have led them to that figure?
                      (I'm thinking it was a low %, due to the single market and conformity, and reasons you listed too)
                      Sorry, yes, you are correct, I should have clarified further - of course the FSA is not the only inspecting authority in the EU, there are complementary bodies in each EU country. However, the point still stands that this is not an EU regulatory issue but an inspection issue.

I can't tell you how the FSA decides their risk factors, I don't work for them. Ring them up if you're interested. I do work for an FMCG and I can tell you that there is no FSA inspector in our factories, but multiple internal QMs that take regular quality samples.

Comment

Working...
                      X