• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Article 127

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post
    Seems like a reasonable compromise to me. Two-year BAU transition followed by a clean break.
    I agree, it seems to be the right way to go.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
      What is the next number in this sequence?

50, 127, ?????
      1250, 3127 (obviously)

(Prize to the first one who explains the sequence)
      …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
        1250, 3127 (obviously)

(Prize to the first one who explains the sequence)
        Is it the CUK internal Ids of the posters who will receive infractions today?

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
          Is it the CUK internal Ids of the posters who will receive infractions today?
          No, if it was then 2100 would be in there.

(BTW, I’d just like to point out that you made me look up your UKID)

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
            No, if it was then 2100 would be in there.

(BTW, I’d just like to point out that you made me look up your UKID)
            And I thought I was 666.

What is the penalty for causing mods unnecessary work? i.e. any work.....

Comment

Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post
              Seems like a reasonable compromise to me. Two-year BAU transition followed by a clean break.
              Compromise or complete U-turn?

June 2016 - claim we’ll be out in 2 years.
              It takes 9 months in invoke article 50
              Brexit means Brexit, Red, White and Blue Brexit, Hard Brexit, etc
              Up until a few hours ago, we were being told that we were leaving the EU in March 2019.
              We are now being told that there will be a further 2 year delay until we leave.

In other words, we’ll be in the process of thinking about making decisions about planning to consider the possibility of the way forward just in time for the next GE.

Comment

I’m sure there was a thread on here a few months ago saying we wouldn’t be out until 2021, even though the PM was saying we definitely would...

Ah yes, here: http://forums.contractoruk.com/gener...il-2021-a.html

Comment

Originally posted by woohoo View Post
                  How was this not clear?
                  As per note post above, the Leave campaign stated:

Europe yes, EU no. We have a new UK-EU Treaty based on free trade and friendly cooperation. There is a European free trade zone from Iceland to the Russian border and we will be part of it. We will take back the power to negotiate our own trade deals.
                  But regardless of who said what, the point is there is no referendum mandate for leaving the EEA, single market or customs union, so it either needs a further referendum (the honest way of doing it but politically unlikely) or it needs a parliamentary vote as with Article 50, because parliament is sovereign and must be the actor here when rights are being removed from citizens. And when it comes to parliament, there is no valid argument that a vote in parliament against leaving the EEA is frustrating the democratic will expressed in the referendum.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladyuk View Post
                    As per note post above, the Leave campaign stated:

But regardless of who said what, the point is there is no referendum mandate for leaving the EEA, single market or customs union, so it either needs a further referendum (the honest way of doing it but politically unlikely) or it needs a parliamentary vote as with Article 50, because parliament is sovereign and must be the actor here when rights are being removed from citizens. And when it comes to parliament, there is no valid argument that a vote in parliament against leaving the EEA is frustrating the democratic will expressed in the referendum.
                    I voted to pull up the drawbridge*. Why's that not happening?

*Or fill in the Channel Tunnel.

Comment

Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy View Post
                      It was clearly said in the letter that Cameron who was the Prime Minister of the UK at the time sent to every voter at great expense. I voted Leave, I was and am quite clear that leaving the single market and ending free movement in its present form were part of the deal. I do wonder what country you were in? Using weasel words like the Leave campaign said this or that about the single market is pretty irrelevant and dare I say utterly childish.
                      You have got yourself into a tizzy, haven't you?

Do you mean this text from the leaflet?

Some argue that we could strike a good deal quickly with the EU
                      because they want to keep access to our market.
                      But the Government’s judgement is that it would be much harder than
                      that – less than 8% of EU exports come to the UK while 44% of UK
                      exports go to the EU.

No other country has managed to secure significant
                      access to the Single Market, without having to:
                      • follow EU rules over which they have no real say
                      • pay into the EU
                      • accept EU citizens living and working in their country

A more limited trade deal with the EU would give the UK less
                      access to the Single Market than we have now – including for
                      services, which make up almost 80% of the UK economy.
                      For example, Canada’s deal with the EU will give limited access
                      for services, it has so far been seven years in the making and
                      is still not in force.
                      If so, can you explain why this is clear that the UK will leave the single market after a Leave note. If you mean other text, perhaps you would be kind enough to post it.

Comment

Working...
                      X