• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The Brexit trap that's closing on Britons who live in Europe

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
    Permanent residency applies to all EU countries inside Schengen. So if you gain permanent residency in Spain then you also automatically have permanent residency rights in France.

Therefore citizenship shouldn't be necessary.
    For an EU citizen, you can live for 3 months in another country without restrictions, if more than 3 months you have to justify why, ex: work, study, etc...Permanent residence after 5 years.

If you move to another country you have to pass to all this process again.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladyuk View Post
      Only 10 months to go.

In fact it's not swapping at all as dual citizenship is allowed. It's like buying a new coat for best because your old coat got puked on by a Scottish ex-squaddie on an ill-advised night out in Barnstaple.

See below.
      Hi my name is northernladyuk and I'm British-Irish. Dare you to give it a try down the local pub.

Comment

Originally posted by The_Equalizer View Post
        Hi my name is northernladyuk and I'm British-Irish. Dare you to give it a try down the local pub.
        The country is changing fast. There was a lesbian couple smoking weed on the beach on Sunday.

Comment

Whatever happened to loyality to the country of your birth? Must be out of fashion.
          I'm sure most expats would like to stay loyal to the country of their birth. But when the country of your birth is actively trying to shaft you and your citizenship has become a hindrance at best and an embarrassment at worse, then you can understand.

EU FOM applied at the same time to UK and Ireland so there was never any conflict with the existing rules. There could be in future especially if we end up with a hard border. Ireland may wish to join Schengen ;something they were prevented from doing by the UK.
          Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

The country is changing fast. There was a lesbian couple smoking weed on the beach on Sunday.
            They'll be sorting out the Irish blasphemy law next...

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
              I'm sure most expats would like to stay loyal to the country of their birth. But when the country of your birth is actively trying to shaft you and your citizenship has become a hindrance at best and an embarrassment at worse, then you can understand.

EU FOM applied at the same time to UK and Ireland so there was never any conflict with the existing rules. There could be in future especially if we end up with a hard border. Ireland may wish to join Schengen ;something they were prevented from doing by the UK.
              Whatever your thoughts on Brexit the Government has repeatedly tried to ensure UK citizens' rights from an early stage. From gov.uk (The government's negotiating objectives for exiting the EU: PM speech - 17th January):

"6. Rights for EU nationals in Britain, and British nationals in the EU

Fairness demands that we deal with another issue as soon as possible too. We want to guarantee the rights of EU citizens who are already living in Britain, and the rights of British nationals in other member states, as early as we can.

I have told other EU leaders that we could give people the certainty they want straight away, and reach such a deal now.

Many of them favour such an agreement – 1 or 2 others do not – but I want everyone to know that it remains an important priority for Britain – and for many other member states – to resolve this challenge as soon as possible. Because it is the right and fair thing to do."

Comment

They'll be sorting out the Irish blasphemy law next...
                I agree. But you have to look not just at where the country is now, but the direction and speed of change.

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post

Ireland was not prevented from joining Schengen by the UK. But Ireland cannot choose both Schengen and the Common Travel Area. Pretty clear that Ireland will stick with the Common Travel Area.

The hard border is more likely to be for goods and services.

Comment

I agree. But you have to look not just at where the country is now, but the direction and speed of change.
                    It was a friendly joke. I'll stick my head over the border wall shortly.

Comment

It was a friendly joke. I'll stick my head over the border wall shortly.
                      My colleagues in Belfast refer to my colleagues in Dublin as 'Mexico'.

Comment

Working...
                      X