• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The Brexit trap that's closing on Britons who live in Europe

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SandyD View Post
    I don't think 5 years is that long??
    In the UK non EU immigrants have to wait 10 years (but varies according to circumstances and on which visa they entered the country).
    If they are retired and already living in Germany they could probably get their citizenship before Brexist is even completed ... the way its going its going to take years.

If you need to work in several EU countries, they you can be resident of one, and just travel for work to another during the week days, or negotiate every other week travel to satisfy the residency rules... or take local roles until you get the residency / citizenship and whatever you need
    Five years via family or work visas in U.K.. 10 year any legal stay, i.e. Combination of work and student or oddball routes like FLR(FP).

Or 20 years any stay.

Comment

How would it work for Ireland? They sort of agreed no hard borders, does it mean I can relocate to Ireland for a few years, get residency / citizinship then Bob's yer uncle... problem solved?
      After five years residency, yes.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladyuk View Post
        Yes. 5 years' residency. In the meantime as a British citizen in Ireland you have almost all the rights of an Irish citizen, except voting in constitutional referenda.
        OK, so for example if I want to live in France or Spain, I first have to go to Ireland, live there for 5 years, then make my way to the Mediterranean

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
          Permanent residency applies to all EU countries inside Schengen. So if you gain permanent residency in Spain then you also automatically have permanent residency rights in France.

Therefore citizenship shouldn't be necessary.
          Lets not confuse EU with Schengen....

Comment

OK, so for example if I want to live in France or Spain, I first have to go to Ireland, live there for 5 years, then make my way to the Mediterranean
            I spent a very warm day on the beach on Sunday.

Comment

How would it work for Ireland? They sort of agreed no hard borders, does it mean I can relocate to Ireland for a few years, get residency / citizinship then Bob's yer uncle... problem solved?
              Depends on whether you are allowed residency for 5 years. At the moment the U.K. Is part of the EU so freedom of movement applies. After Brexit, there may not be freedom of movement.

Go now, if you're serious....

Comment

Originally posted by meridian View Post
                Depends on whether you are allowed residency for 5 years. At the moment the U.K. Is part of the EU so freedom of movement applies. After Brexit, there may not be freedom of movement.

To Ireland??
                I am working int he EU / Scandinavia now, but one week at EU one week from London... think Brexit will take years and years... but if May wins, I know for sure it will be hard Brexit with no negotiation for free movement... if JC wins there is hope.

Comment

Originally posted by meridian View Post

UK / Ireland freedom of movement pre-dates the EU and will persist afterwards. From the UK perspective the Ireland Act 1949 states:

2.(1) It is hereby declared that, notwithstanding that the Republic of Ireland is not part of His Majesty’s dominions, the Republic of Ireland is not a foreign country for the purposes of any law in force in any part of the United Kingdom or in any colony, protectorate or United Kingdom trust territory, whether by virtue of a rule of law or of an Act of Parliament or any other enactment or instrument whatsoever, whether passed or made before or after the passing of this Act, and references in any Act of Parliament, other enactment or instrument whatsoever, whether passed or made before or after the passing of this Act, to foreigners, aliens, foreign countries, and foreign or foreign-built ships or aircraft shall be construed accordingly.
                  This defines a unique relationship. British citizens have similar unique rights in Ireland.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladyuk View Post
                    Yes. 5 years' residency. In the meantime as a British citizen in Ireland you have almost all the rights of an Irish citizen, except voting in constitutional referenda.
                    Or get hitched to one and do it in three. That said, it's not quite like swapping the coat you are wearing.

"You must have made a declaration of fidelity to the nation and loyalty to the State."

Becoming an Irish citizen through marriage or civil partnership - www.citizensinformation.ie

Whatever happened to loyality to the country of your birth? Must be out of fashion.

Comment

Originally posted by The_Equalizer View Post
                      Or get hitched to one and do it in three.
                      Only 10 months to go.

That said, it's not quite like swapping the coat you are wearing.
                      In fact it's not swapping at all as dual citizenship is allowed. It's like buying a new coat for best because your old coat got puked on by a Scottish ex-squaddie on an ill-advised night out in Barnstaple.

Whatever happened to loyality [sic] to the country of your birth? Must be out of fashion.
                      See below.

Brexit

Name given to the national IQ test that was taken by 72% of the British population on Thursday 23rd June 2016. Failure rate 51.9%.

Comment

Working...
                      X