• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Vauxhall Brexit after 2020?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by vetran View Post
    depends if we impose tariffs
    What if the EU imposes tariffs? Like for instance to protect German/French/Italian car/parts manufacturers...

Comment

Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
      And I am sure that their global strategy includes entirely removing those plants that manufacture all of their right hand drive vehicles.

80% of the UK plants production is export to EU, They only have to keep the bare minimum serving the UK market.

Also the supply chain for car manufacturing often involves multiple border crossings, while individual components are being slowly assembled in the more complex pieces that make the final product. It might very well be cheaper to do the whole process within the EU and export the final product to the UK, instead of dealing with all the crap.

Last but not least sacking people in UK is cheaper than doing so in France/Germany etc. coupled with a PR nightmare if they choice to sack EU workers over UK.

All of the above compounds, you might want to take off your rose tinted glasses.

Comment

depends if we impose tariffs

Opel-Vauxhall European sales figures
        60% of the car parts used in UK factories come from abroad, mainly Europe.
        Some supply chains are so complex, parts cross and recross the border several times.
        If we impose tariffs, the paperwork alone will be so onerous, most manufacturers would find it cheaper to build abroad and export here, even with tariffs.
        Hard Brexit now!
        #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by sal View Post

Also the supply chain for car manufacturing often involves multiple border crossings, while individual components are being slowly assembled in the more complex pieces that make the final product. It might very well be cheaper to do the whole process within the EU and export the final product to the UK, instead of dealing with all the crap.
          Originally posted by sasguru View Post
          60% of the car parts used in UK factories come from abroad, mainly Europe.
          Some supply chains are so complex, parts cross and recross the border several times.
          If we impose tariffs, the paperwork alone will be so onerous, most manufacturers would find it cheaper to build abroad and export here, even with tariffs.
          SNAP.

One good thing about Brexit. It's made me completely intolerant of thickos in normal life. I used to underestimate how many there were.
          Hard Brexit now!
          #prayfornodeal

Comment

SNAP.

One good thing about Brexit. It's made me completely intolerant of thickos in normal life. I used to underestimate how many there were.
            that's alright I never underestimate how many arrogant feckwits there are, there is always assguru there to remind how low they go.
            Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

that's alright I never underestimate how many arrogant feckwits there are, there is always assguru there to remind how low they go.
              Some real compulsory education is going to happen in this country, relating to simple economics.
              The best kind, the kind that hurts, the kind you don't forget.

But hey don't take my word for it.
              The leader of "Economists for Brexit", Patrick Minford, predicts Brexit will essentially end manufacturing in Britain.
              I agree with him.
              Where we diverge is that he thinks it's a good idea.
              Last edited by sasguru; 6 March 2017, 16:46.
              Hard Brexit now!
              #prayfornodeal

Comment

And I am sure that their global strategy includes entirely removing those plants that manufacture all of their right hand drive vehicles.
                Peugeot got it's own right hand models, why compete with themselves? They'll simplify production of Open brand by shutting down UK plant.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
                  Peugeot got it's own right hand models, why compete with themselves?
                  Because, as they themselves openly admit, nobody outwith France really wants to buy French cars.

“The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Because, as they themselves openly admit, nobody outwith France really wants to buy French cars.

Wrong, yet again.

PSA Group 2016 sales rise 5.8 percent, boosted by Iran and European recovery | Reuters

Peugeot/Citroen have turned the corner and have started to make some very good cars now.
                    Hard Brexit now!
                    #prayfornodeal

Comment

Peugeot/Citroen have turned the corner and have started to make some very good cars now.
                      Yeah, a 5.8% "surge" from a rock-bottom position is a giant indication of progress.
                      “The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Working...
                      X