• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Moving from umbrella to ltd on renewal

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Clare@InTouch View Post
    You're a toad
    Thank you very much.
    The material prosperity of a nation is not an abiding possession; the deeds of its people are.

George Frederic Watts

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Postman's_Park

Comment

Originally posted by Craig at Nixon Williams View Post
      In the example outlined here, my opinion is that Joe wouldn’t be able to claim anything for travelling to bank #2 as the 24 month rule takes priority because he is working in the same geographical location.
      Thanks. I completely screwed up that analogy though.

Say Joe was only in his 'permanent' job at bank #1 for 15 months.
      He quits his job and gets a 6-month contract (via ltd) at bank #2.
      After 6 months his contract is renewed for a further 6 months.

For what duration can he claim BIK free travel expenses?

The 1st employment is a permanent workplace, regardless of duration. A subsequent contract at the same location could either be seen as temporary workplace, for up to 24 months, or a permanent workplace immediately.

I appreciate that the guidance is open to interpretation. I'm struggling to see how one could go from being at a permanent workplace, to then being at a temporary workplace (same location) but for only a few months, before being classed as permanent workplace again. Me thinks it should be either all or nothing.
      Last edited by Contreras; 18 June 2014, 10:35.

Comment

In my next gig I'll be claiming mileage. Thank heavens it's motorbike miles so this 10,000 mile thing doesn't affect me!

Comment

Originally posted by Contreras View Post
          Thanks. I completely screwed up that analogy though.

Say Joe was only in his 'permanent' job at bank #1 for 15 months.
          He quits his job and gets a 6-month contract (via ltd) at bank #2.
          After 6 months his contract is renewed for a further 6 months.

For what duration can he claim BIK free travel expenses?

The 1st employment is a permanent workplace, regardless of duration. A subsequent contract at the same location could either be seen as temporary workplace, for up to 24 months, or a permanent workplace immediately.

I appreciate that the guidance is open to interpretation. I'm struggling to see how one could go from being at a permanent workplace, to then being at a temporary workplace (same location) but for only a few months, before being classed as permanent workplace again. Me thinks it should be either all or nothing.
          He would not be able to claim anything for the 15 months that he worked at Bank #1 as he expected that to be his permanent workplace at that time.

When he starts contracting, he would be able to claim it for the initial 6 month contract because it is no longer a permanent workplace and the total time at that location is still under 24 months at the end of that contract. From the point that he accepts the extension he would not be able to make any further claim.

As you say, the guidance is open to interpretation – the above is merely my opinion.

Craig

Comment

He would not be able to claim anything for the 15 months that he worked at Bank #1 as he expected that to be his permanent workplace at that time.

When he starts contracting, he would be able to claim it for the initial 6 month contract because it is no longer a permanent workplace and the total time at that location is still under 24 months at the end of that contract. From the point that he accepts the extension he would not be able to make any further claim.

As you say, the guidance is open to interpretation – the above is merely my opinion.

Craig
            It's complex, but I'm not sure that's correct.

But if it is correct, he could start claiming from the moment he gave his notice in at the permanent workplace.
            The material prosperity of a nation is not an abiding possession; the deeds of its people are.

George Frederic Watts

Comment

Originally posted by speling bee View Post
              It's complex, but I'm not sure that's correct.

But if it is correct, he could start claiming from the moment he gave his notice in at the permanent workplace.
              No relief could be claimed when working for Bank #1 even after notice has been given because the journey will simply be viewed as ordinary commuting.

A quick caveat on what I said earlier: Joe could only make a claim for travel to Bank #2 if at the time of the claim; Joe expects to get another contract at a separate location after the contract with the bank ends.

Comment

No relief could be claimed when working for Bank #1 even after notice has been given because the journey will simply be viewed as ordinary commuting.

A quick caveat on what I said earlier: Joe could only make a claim for travel to Bank #2 if at the time of the claim; Joe expects to get another contract at a separate location after the contract with the bank ends.
                If travel to the same location can become allowable when a formerly permanent location (which seems dubious to me) becomes a temporary location, then why should the trigger be change of employment rather than handing in notice? This is why it seems very suspect to me. I would think that once a location is permanent it cannot become temporary.

George Frederic Watts

Comment

If travel to the same location can become allowable when a formerly permanent location (which seems dubious to me) becomes a temporary location, then why should the trigger be change of employment rather than handing in notice? This is why it seems very suspect to me. I would think that once a location is permanent it cannot become temporary.
                  Hi Spelling Bee

Just to give my 2p's worth.

Joe's time at Bank #1 was a permanent location because he had no other location for work i.e. had had to work at the bank under that employment. Now that he's gone contracting his permanent location is his home office and Bank #2 becomes a temporary location so he can start claiming travel expenses up until the point he expects to be at that same location for over 24 months which in this case appears to be for the first 6 months of contracting there.

One thing a lot of people forget it that for a location to be temporary there has to be another location that is the permanent location, if there isn't then by default the first location is a permanent one and it is for this reason that employees can't claim for ordinary commuting.

HTH

Martin
                  Contratax Ltd

Comment

...or, if it can, then why not start the clock at the point the workplace becomes temporary.

I'm sure, with a little persistence, someone will eventually give the opinion I'm looking for.

Comment

Originally posted by ContrataxLtd View Post
                      Hi Spelling Bee

Just to give my 2p's worth.

Joe's time at Bank #1 was a permanent location because he had no other location for work i.e. had had to work at the bank under that employment. Now that he's gone contracting his permanent location is his home office and Bank #2 becomes a temporary location so he can start claiming travel expenses up until the point he expects to be at that same location for over 24 months which in this case appears to be for the first 6 months of contracting there.

One thing a lot of people forget it that for a location to be temporary there has to be another location that is the permanent location, if there isn't then by default the first location is a permanent one and it is for this reason that employees can't claim for ordinary commuting.

HTH

Martin
                      Contratax Ltd
                      Thanks, Martin. But where does it say there must be a permanent location. That's news to me. E.g.

EIM32075 - Travel expenses: travel for necessary attendance: definitions: temporary workplace

EIM32075 - Travel expenses: travel for necessary attendance: definitions: temporary workplace
                      Section 339(3) ITEPA 2003
                      A workplace is a temporary workplace if an employee goes there only to perform a task of limited duration or for a temporary purpose. So even where an employee attends a workplace regularly, it will be a temporary workplace and so not a permanent workplace, if the employee attends for the purpose of performing a task of limited duration or other temporary purpose.

Limited duration is explained at EIM32080.

Temporary purpose is explained at EIM32150.

If a workplace is capable of being a temporary workplace by reference to this rule, you must consider the following additional rules:

the 24 month rule, see EIM32080
                      the fixed term appointment rule, see EIM32125
                      the depots and bases rule, see EIM32160
                      the area rule, see EIM32190
                      These rules can only apply if the workplace is capable of being a temporary workplace by reference to S339(3).

George Frederic Watts

Comment

Working...
                      X