• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

What do agents earn on holding our money as long as posible?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What do agents earn on holding our money as long as posible?

Been contracting for a while and the pimp never paid on time, always inventing some ludocruous excuses to hold the money. Do they earn a commision on holding the money for every day that goes?

I think it's more down to incompetence and manual processes than holding on to it for any financial gain.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

There used to be a time when interest rates were high and there was financial advantage for intermediaries to hold money that wasn't actually theirs for as long as possible.

But since 2008 that reason has gone....

Apart from NLUK's reasons I would add that somebody is paying someone else first rather than you to keep away from the company overdraft.
      This default font is sooooooooooooo boring and so are short usernames

Comment

Originally posted by MPwannadecentincome View Post

Apart from NLUK's reasons I would add that somebody is paying someone else first rather than you to keep away from the company overdraft.
        Agents can easily use invoice factoring.
        "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by Lola C View Post
          Been contracting for a while and the pimp never paid on time, always inventing some ludocruous excuses to hold the money. Do they earn a commision on holding the money for every day that goes?
          ludicrous
          commission
          The material prosperity of a nation is not an abiding possession; the deeds of its people are.

George Frederic Watts

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Postman's_Park

Comment

Originally posted by Lola C View Post
            Maybe I am lucky, but I have never experienced regular late payments from agencies, out of 5 total worked through so far. If it were to happen more than once, never mind regularly late, then I would be concerned about the agency's cash flow position.

You can charge statutory interest on late payment. This is currently 8.5%, unless the contract says differently. You can also apply this retrospectively on invoices even if they have since been settled in full - something perhaps worth reminding them of.

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
              Agents can easily use invoice factoring.
              If they wanted to yes they could!
              This default font is sooooooooooooo boring and so are short usernames

Comment

I've never had this either, and in fact I've had the opposite with agents chasing me to get my invoices in weekly so they CAN pay me on time.

Comment

Originally posted by MPwannadecentincome View Post
                  If they wanted to yes they could!
                  There are ways of making them want to.....
                  "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

The chances are they are waiting to be paid rather than holding onto the money. Factoring only provides a %age of the original invoice value, so many smaller agencies end up with a short fall every month and are reliant on finally being paid in order to pay you. Before they are paid they simply lack the resources to do so. For the smaller guys it only takes one late paying client to screw things up.
                    While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Working...
                    X