• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

What is the best way to take money out from the company bank account?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Clare@InTouch View Post
    If not, it's a Settlement.
    But lets not forget, just because its a settlement (i.e. bounteous transaction), doesn't automatically make it taxable on the settlor (for the millionth time).

Comment

Originally posted by Clare@InTouch View Post
      There is no problem at all in gifting shares to your spouse and sharing dividends, provided you are married when the transfer takes place and the shares hold full voting rights (so are not purely a right to income).

If you're not married when you gift the shares or they are non-voting shares, you have a massive problem should HMRC come looking.
      Clare, would it be a permanent settlement or would it cease to be a settlement on a subsequent marriage?

Comment

Originally posted by ASB View Post
        Clare, would it be a permanent settlement or would it cease to be a settlement on a subsequent marriage?
        Subsequent marriage won't change the original position, whatever that might be. It depends on the circumstances at the point the transfer is made.

You could perhaps argue though that a subsequent marriage would reduce the chances of you investigated but it doesn't change things.

Comment

Originally posted by ASB View Post
          Subsequent marriage wouldn't help, as the settlement was made when the spousal exemption wasn't available. All dividends paid would be at risk, regardless of when they paid.

The only way to correct it would be to issue new shares after marriage, of a different class, and only pay out on the new shares. You could close the company, but that in itself highlights you to HMRC and they may then notice the original settlement.
          ContractorUK Best Forum Adviser 2013

Comment

Hi all,

"Money saves in the company can be paid into to your personal pension up to certain limits, and then withdrawn at a much lower tax rate when you close provided you're entitled to Entrepreneurs Relief"

What are the limits? When can I withdraw the money out? As soon as I close my company down or do I have to wait till retirement?
            How can I find out if I am entitled to Entrepreneurs Relief?

"You could take a director's loan of £10k and repay it before interest and tax become due, and invest that."
            How long can I take the loan out for before interest and tax become due?

I do live with my partner. Can i transfer dividends and salary to himself as well? Will this affect his tax return? I.e pay more back to HMRC because he has another source of income?

Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by kesm View Post
              Hi all,

"Money saves in the company can be paid into to your personal pension up to certain limits, and then withdrawn at a much lower tax rate when you close provided you're entitled to Entrepreneurs Relief"

What are the limits? When can I withdraw the money out? As soon as I close my company down or do I have to wait till retirement?

"You could take a director's loan of £10k and repay it before interest and tax become due, and invest that."

I do live with my partner. Can i transfer dividends and salary to himself as well? Will this affect his tax return? I.e pay more back to HMRC because he has another source of income?

Thanks!
              You cannot give shares, and thus pay dividends, to someone who is not your spouse unless you relinquish all interest in the money. If you live together you retain an interest as you have joint bills etc, so not recommended. You can pay him a salary if he does something for it, but you should be able to justify it. If your other half has other income then it may not be worth it.

You can pay into a pension via the company, up to £40,000 a year. You may be able to use prior year's entitlements if the scheme existed back then. Talk to an IFA - your accountant can recommend one if necessary.

When you cease trading and close a company you can take any final money as a capital gain, in most circumstances. You can close a company at any time, you don't need to wait until you retire. You must be ceasing to trade though - you cannot close the company then open a new one doing the exact same thing. Talk to your accountant on that one.
              ContractorUK Best Forum Adviser 2013

Comment

What are the limits?
                £40k a year to get tax relief.

When can I withdraw the money out? As soon as I close my company down or do I have to wait till retirement?
                When you are 55 - HM Revenue & Customs: Taking your pension before you're 55 using a protected pension age

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/helpsheets/hs275.pdf
                Who can claim relief?
                Entrepreneurs’ Relief is available to individuals and some trustees of settlements, but it is not available to companies or personal representatives of deceased persons or in relation to a trust where the entire trust is a discretionary settlement. Page 6 gives more details of the qualifying conditions for trustees of settlements.
                Nine months after the year end.

I do live with my partner. Can i transfer dividends and salary to himself as well?
                Yes. You can pay him a salary if he is doing work for the company - ensure that the level paid is reasonable for the work that they do, though. You cannot give him dividends unless he is a share holder.

You can give him shares in the company. That would (in all likelihood) amount to a settlement which is taxed because you are not married.

You can sell him shares in the company. That would be a settlement but one which may not require tax to be paid.

Gifting or selling shares between unmarried partners requires careful planning and execution. I know of only one person who has done this - everyone else I know who has considered this has walked away.

Will this affect his tax return? I.e pay more back to HMRC because he has another source of income?
                Best Forum Advisor 2014
                Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Working...
                X