• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Buy to let property - can I put it under my company's accounts ?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Buy to let property - can I put it under my company's accounts ?

Hi all

I have a buy to let flat. I was wondering if it would be tax efficient to add this to my limited company? My boyfriend also has a buy to let and we are thinking of buying an additional property. Can I add this as well via my limited company. The other thought I had was to open a separate company for the buy to let's.

What is your advice?

Thank you!

I was on a small business training course the other day and the instructor mentioned specifically that you can't mix property business with other types of business in the same company.

Matt

Comment

Originally posted by robpow View Post
      I was on a small business training course the other day and the instructor mentioned specifically that you can't mix property business with other types of business in the same company.

Matt
      I doubt that's true....

Comment

You would need to sell the properties to the company at market value, incurring stamp duty and legal fees thereon. There could be VAT implications, flat rate VAT implications, and of course any rent is subject to CT. That may or may not be better, depending on your personal circumstances.

If you wanted to close the company you'd need to sell the properties, again at market value.

If you are a contractor then the properties would also be company assets, and fair game if for some reason the company was sued etc.

Finally, mortgages for buy to let's are really difficult to get via a limited company apparently.

In short, talk to your accountant
        ContractorUK Best Forum Adviser 2013

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post
          I doubt that's true....
          Indeed - you can do it, it just might be a bad idea!

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post
            I doubt that's true....
            It's not true, I'm doing that already.

Comment

[QUOTE=Clare@InTouch;1937504]

Finally, mortgages for buy to let's are really difficult to get via a limited company apparently.

[QUOTE]

Actually it's very simple. They're just slightly more expensive.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeebo72 View Post

Actually it's very simple. They're just slightly more expensive.
                I've not tried it personally, but the advice from our tame IFA colleagues is that it's nigh on impossible. Maybe it just depends on who you are and your background.

Comment

You are all missing the important thing.....

It's 'buy to lets'

It really is....

Comment

Originally posted by tractor View Post
                    You are all missing the important thing.....

It's 'buy to lets'

It really is....
                    I'm sure the OP has taken on board your undoubtedly useful information.

Comment

Working...
                    X