• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

400 per day in Belgium

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Batcher View Post
    Pretty much.

In the 2nd post after your OP, Scruffy gave a link to a series of comprehensive postings by Nodric that gave an idea of what is required to contract in Belgium. It obviously took him a lot of time and effort to compile.

You couldn't be arsed to read it.

If you need to be spoonfed everything, maybe contracting isn't the right career for you?
    I will read through the whole thread soon. Just need to set my mind to it, because i have very limited interest in doing my own research about accounting and stuff...
    Last edited by gabox01; 7 May 2014, 21:25.

Comment

If you aren't interested in tax and accounting, then don't think of contracting, where in effect you are running your own business.

Stay a permie. Please stop asking questions where you don't like the answers. Heaven help you when it comes to getting Professional Indemnity and Public Liability insurance and paying for an Accountant...?
      I was an IPSE Consultative Council Member, until the BoD abolished it. I am not an IPSE Member, since they have no longer have any relevance to me, as an IT Contractor. Read my lips...I recommend QDOS for ALL your Insurance requirements (Contact me for a referral code).

Comment

If you lived locally with no travel expenses and not self employed
        8000-500 management fees -33% employers NI - 13% employee NI less 40 minimum tax equals about 2600 net.
        If you were self employed you wouldn't pay the 13% employee plus you could claim other expenses as a self employed so maybe 3500 net.
        If you travel back to the UK each week and can deduct your expenses then you are looking at about 1250 net plus expense reimbursement
        If you were local and trilingual you would most likely be on about 700 a day.

Comment

Originally posted by gabox01 View Post
          I will read through the whole thread soon. Just need to set my mind to it, because i have very limited interest in doing my own research about accounting and stuff...
          You can say this and then complain about being called stupid? Astounding.

No need to research the info is laid out in black and white by some people who have done the research and have real world experience.

You are as believable as a children's fairy tale, if you're going to play at sock puppetry at least keep it to the General forum.

Comment

Originally posted by TykeMerc View Post
            You can say this and then complain about being called stupid? Astounding.

No need to research the info is laid out in black and white by some people who have done the research and have real world experience.

You are as believable as a children's fairy tale, if you're going to play at sock puppetry at least keep it to the General forum.
            Just seen a wonderfull UK opportunity on JobServe. It really suits my skills perfectly. I think I'm the best man to do the job... yes, it will be so nice!

Comment

Originally posted by Brussels Slumdog View Post
              If you lived locally with no travel expenses and not self employed
              8000-500 management fees -33% employers NI - 13% employee NI less 40 minimum tax equals about 2600 net.
              If you were self employed you wouldn't pay the 13% employee plus you could claim other expenses as a self employed so maybe 3500 net.
              If you travel back to the UK each week and can deduct your expenses then you are looking at about 1250 net plus expense reimbursement
              If you were local and trilingual you would most likely be on about 700 a day.
              The first usefull post to my thread. Thanks Slumdog!

Comment

Arrghhhh

You are definitely the Sockie of the Month
                I was an IPSE Consultative Council Member, until the BoD abolished it. I am not an IPSE Member, since they have no longer have any relevance to me, as an IT Contractor. Read my lips...I recommend QDOS for ALL your Insurance requirements (Contact me for a referral code).

Comment

Originally posted by gabox01 View Post
                  I've just been offered a 400 EUR per day contract in Belgium, and now thinking about accepting or not.

I'm asking those who did some contracting there:

-Don't you think that this rate is a bit low?
                  -How will my take home look like if I accept?
                  Very low for Belgium and imho not affordable as an away-from-home-country gig. I would personally not work in Belgium for less than €650 pd (actually, the hourly equivalant) but €850 would be required for a gig outside the 183 day rule.

Tax depends how long you will be there - if for less than 183 days you will pay UK tax under the 183 day rule, otherwise Belgian tax rates will amount to a minimum 50-60% depending how you play it.

The link already posted to the thread started by Nodric is recommended reading but the upshot is you can work in Belgium under the 183 day rule, whatever the Umbrella apologista say here. I know, I've done it.

Boo

Comment

Originally posted by ChimpMaster View Post
                    There was a news story today about a beggar in Putney who earned about that much each day. No tax and no expenses - so his take home was pretty much 100%.

Speaks volumes for the state of IT, when you earn more begging.
                    There was a news story today about a poster to an IT forum who believed that beggers can earn £650 a day.

Speaks volumes about the state of IT when beggers are more intelligent than people working in the field.

Boo
                    Last edited by Boo; 9 May 2014, 08:16.

Comment

600 euro a day - self employed

Hi,

I have read this thread and I would like to ask you for advice. I have been offered contract position in Belgium for 6 months with rate 600 per day (11500 euro month). What will be my net after taxes and social security ?
                      CXC as well other umbrella gave me projection that it should be on level of 69% - 72% (~8000 euro net per month). In their calculations they claim that social security contribution per month would be about 350 euro ! I couln't belive it so I asked them why it is so low - they told me this is flat rate for first 3 years. I'm suspicious.

I've read a lot of stuff in internet and what I found:
                      The self-employed pay their quarterly social security contribution to the social insurance fund they are affiliated with. The contribution is calculated on the self-employed person's net professional labour income in the third calendar year ('reference year') preceding the year during which the contributions were paid. Starting self-employed persons who do not have a 'reference year' shall pay contributions on a provisional basis.

Aha, so CXC calculated it on provisional basis. The main question is: if I start contract and work there for 6 months and then close it, back to my country. Will I have to pay remediation (some extra money to system ?) I feel that - yes since provisional basis for me means that it is only for initial calculation.

http://www.socialezekerheid.fgov.be/...lwa2013_en.pdf

Comment

Working...
                      X