• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Contracting in Hong Kong + Limited Company Advice

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Contracting in Hong Kong + Limited Company Advice

I've been working in the UK as a contractor for the past 3 years.
    I've now been offered a new contract in Hong Kong through a management consultant company based in the UK.
    However, I need to setup a limited company to go through said mgt consultant co.
    I can't setup a UK ltd co because my tier 2 visa ends at the end of April.
    The mgt co said they can go through a ltd company setup anywhere.

What is the best approach, given I am an Australian citizen?
    Setup a limited company in Australia? Hong Kong?

Originally posted by flyingforward View Post
    What is the best approach, given I am an Australian citizen?
    Setup a limited company in Australia? Hong Kong?
    Your best approach is to talk with advisers in both Hong Kong and Aus. there are no UK ties going forward, so theres not much merit in seeking UK advice (i.e. this forum?).

That said, (a) and I admit my via knowledge is sparse, I'm not sure why a tier 2 visa expiry permits you from opening a UK company? Surely the visa is about working in the UK rather than being a on resident director / shareholderof a UK company - there is no requirement under company or tax law for directors / shareholders to be UK resident and (b) I think its probably irrelevant because used properly when you are in Hong Kong a UK company will, I would presume, be tax transparent i.e. carries no advantages over a local arrangement.

Comment

Working...
    X