• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

starting work without a signed contract?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

starting work without a signed contract?

I've been asked to report for duty next week, but the agency haven't signed the contract with my ltd. They say they've sent it to me by snail mail. First I sign, post it back to them, then they sign and post it back to me when they're in the mood.

It's a decent contract and I've seen the terms, but I hate all this messing about.

What would you do?

Terence
    Last edited by GunnerMilligan; 25 August 2006, 15:06.

If you are really worried get them to fax (or if you don't have fax e-mail a scanned copy) a copy to you.

Comment

Originally posted by GunnerMilligan
      I've been asked to report for duty next week, but the agency haven't signed the contract with my ltd. They say they've sent it to me by snail mail. First I sign, post it back to them, then they sign and post it back to me when they're in the mood.

It's a decent contract and I've seen the terms, but I hate all this messing about.

What would you do?

Terence
      It’s happened a few times with me, no problems. One contract I did not like the terms and conditions and it took two weeks to sort it out. It actually worked in my favour because the agent did not want to upset me or the client once I had started.

If you don’t like terms and conditions, don’t sign them or leave. You will be paid no matter what the agent says. (even if you have to take them to Court)
      "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

It can be claimed that you have accepted the terms and conditions if you start working and have not signed them, and you are likely to loose in court if it gets that far.

Comment

An electronic copy should be good enough. I have just received my signed contract from one I started in March, but it doesn't normally take that long!
          His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Ardesco is right. Plus check the t's and c's of your insurances as they may be invalid if you don't have the signed contract in place...

Older and ...well, just older!!

Comment

I thank every person who has posted advice for me. I guess I'll take my chances with the agency. But if they start giving me problems, I am completely going to go psycho with them and live up to my name.

Comment

Working...
              X