• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

VAT on purchase from the USA and flat rate scheme

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

VAT on purchase from the USA and flat rate scheme

Hi
    Just a stupid question: My ltd is on the flat rate vat scheme. I can not claim vat on my purchases in general.
    However I can claim vat on my purchases if they are for more than £2000 on a single vat invoice. I.e. if I buy a server in the UK for £2000 + £400 vat I can claim this £400 in my next vat return.
    That is clear.
    The question is if I buy something from the USA totaling >£2000 + VAT (USA VAT). Do I claim this vat back in the UK?

Originally posted by garnet View Post
    Hi
    Just a stupid question: My ltd is on the flat rate vat scheme. I can not claim vat on my purchases in general.
    However I can claim vat on my purchases if they are for more than £2000 on a single vat invoice. I.e. if I buy a server in the UK for £2000 + £400 vat I can claim this £400 in my next vat return.
    That is clear.
    The question is if I buy something from the USA totaling >£2000 + VAT (USA VAT). Do I claim this vat back in the UK?
    No, it is not possible to reclaim whatever sales tax is applied in the US through the UK VAT system unfortunately.

Comment

You cannot reclaim foreign VAT.

International VAT can be complex, so worth having a read through the HMRC guides: HM Revenue & Customs: Reclaiming VAT on your purchases
      ContractorUK Best Forum Adviser 2013

Comment

Thanks for that. I was kind of sure I can not. Too good to be true.

Comment

If you're buying something in the EU though make sure you give them your UK VAT number, and then in certain circumstances they won't charge you foreign VAT to start with (business to business transactions).
          ContractorUK Best Forum Adviser 2013

Comment

What about the VAT on a US purchase that the HMRC sticks on? For example you buy something for 2000 quid, no US sales tax, arrives in UK, HMRC assess it for duty (usually none on the stuff I import) but they do stick 20% VAT on.

That claimable (subject to FRS etc...)?

Comment

Working...
            X