• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Sure Signal - chargeable?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    So in my mind you are buying something through the company that requires your personal home broadband to supply a service to something you only use in your home. I know what I would be doing

But this isn't a handset or service plan so not sure how the rule for them can apply.
    True, but then buying a new PC (desktop) would require my personal home broadband to supply a service to something I only use in my home. I get where you're coming from, but I think the link of the broadband tipping the scales one way or the other is a bit tenuous. i think this is just another new piece of tech not fully defined yet. I doubt it would raise an issue - it's a bit of IT tech to help me do business, if it did get called out I think it would be accepted as a geniune mistake, and wouldn't break the bank to rectify.

In any case, I'll be playing it safe and paying for it personally. I really don't see the point of being a bit dodgy (beyond share split and salary/divi split), even if I could find a way to justify what I'm doing.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
      So in my mind you are buying something through the company that requires your personal home broadband to supply a service to something you only use in your home. I know what I would be doing

But this isn't a handset or service plan so not sure how the rule for them can apply.
      If you're claiming partial home use, then that includes partial broadband use as well.

My argument is that it is a company asset with incidental personal use. If you face an investigation and HMRC argue that it isn't, then you pay the £100 back to the company.

I'm pretty risk averse, but I don't see any issue with claiming this, as long as you have a decent enough argument in case of an investigation.
      Best Forum Advisor 2014
      Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
      Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Working...
      X