• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Noob here, tying self up in knots of NI calculations! please help!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HM Revenue & Customs: SessionEnded

Might help. Though I would do it manually for a sanity check at least.

Comment

Folks, thanks for all your help. I have read all the stuff you've linked to and now consider myself to be a new expert in NICs!

In seriousness, I have just managed to understand

a) my correct NI position for this tax year based upon my proposed salary and the period of time I've been employed i.e. since my company was set up in January
      b) the fact that because of my whole personal allowance for income tax being available and because of the way the NICs work for my specific salary and time period, it is actually more advantageous - only by £100, but still - for me to pay myself salary than dividends (and it also has the advantage that I do actually pay enough NICs this year to cover my pension entitlement AND the advantage that it enables me to defer any decision on how I will operate vis a vis IR35)
      c) the exact way in which both spreadsheets sent to me by my accountant were calculated, and the ways in which both were wrong.

I feel considerably better now! it enables me not only to have confident in what I plan to do, but also to have a very specific conversation with the accountant about the shortcomings of the service I have received. There is no way I should have had to work all of this out for myself.

And in the whole process I now understand the 'shape' of NICs much better which will help me make good decisions going forward - although I can now see that in a year when I am earning for the whole of it, it's going to be largely irrelevant as the 'shape' of the NICs is only a big deal at certain salary levels.

I really appreciate all your help in this - painful as it was.

Comment

As everyone has said. This is a question for your accountant. You're paying them to sort all this out for you.

As someone whos been in the same situation if you're accountant is crap get rid NOW. Its just too much stress having to work and then check the accountant is doing his job as well.

No connection at all to them just a happy customers but this is why I love NW. Its money well spent because they've got it all under control. My accountant even notices mistakes in invoices, expenses sheets etc that I didnt notice.
        Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Working...
        X