• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Gross Dividend Greater Than Net Profit Allowed ?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

As others have said, if the net dividend is covered by the Profit after Tax then it is not illegal.

Originally posted by scrollock View Post
    Whats happens to the 10% ? Does this need paying to HMRC, hence I am being double taxed ?
    The 10% tax credit is not actually paid to HMRC by either the payer or the recipient of the dividend, think of it as a figure that is used only to calculate tax liabilities. Say you receive a dividend for £90, HMRC view that as you having been paid a dividend of £100 that has had £10 of tax deducted (even though there has not actually been any transaction for £10).

As a basic rate taxpayer if you have a dividend of £100 (including the 10% tax credit) then you will be charged 10% tax on the value (so £10) but will then be given credit for the tax that you are already deemed to have paid (again £10) so will have no additional tax to pay. Therefore as a basic rate taxpayer, despite the rate of 10% being published, the effective rate on the net dividend is 0%, for a higher rate taxpayer the published rate is 32.5% but the effective rate is 25% of the net.

You aren't being double taxed - for example lets say you have a net profit of £100 (before tax), pay CT of £20 and distribute the rest as dividends. As a basic rate taxpayer you will end up with £80 in your pocket after all taxes (a tax rate of 20%). As a higher rate taxpayer you will then pay (an effective rate of 25%) on the £80 distributed, so a further £20 in personal tax (plus the original £20 CT on the net profit) so the total tax paid on net profit in this scenario is £40 (so 40%).

Hope this helps!
    Craig

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
      The unknown highlighted bit was why I thought it might have been inefficient. I assume (and hope) the other person is your spouse?
      Yes

Comment

Originally posted by Craig at Nixon Williams View Post
        Hope this helps!
        Craig
        Thanks, so in a nutshell as far as Myco is concerned it just a pays a dividend (gross or net is immaterial).

However as far as my personal finances are concerned, it has been paid net, I need to gross it up with the tax credit and add to other income to see where I sit tax allowances wise.

If I go into higher rates, then further tax is payable less the 10% credit.

Comment

Thanks, so in a nutshell as far as Myco is concerned it just a pays a dividend (gross or net is immaterial).

However as far as my personal finances are concerned, it has been paid net, I need to gross it up with the tax credit and add to other income to see where I sit tax allowances wise.

Yes, that sounds correct!

Craig

Comment

Assuming you go into the higher rate, but not the additional rate (i.e. 40%) then there is 25% of the net dividend in that band to pay.

Comment

To illustrate the interaction between the 25% and the 10% tax credit etc.

Net dividend: £90.00
              Tax credit: £10.00
              Gross Dividend: £100.00

Tax due at 32.5% of the gross is £32.50, deduct the £10 deemed to have been paid so the additional tax due is £22.50 – which is 25% of the £90 net dividend!

Craig

Comment

Originally posted by Craig at Nixon Williams View Post
                To illustrate the interaction between the 25% and the 10% tax credit etc.

Net dividend: £90.00
                Tax credit: £10.00
                Gross Dividend: £100.00

Tax due at 32.5% of the gross is £32.50, deduct the £10 deemed to have been paid so the additional tax due is £22.50 – which is 25% of the £90 net dividend!

Craig
                Accountants make adding-up and taking-away turn into what seems like higher-maths!

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post
                  HMRC make adding-up and taking-away turn into what seems like higher-maths!
                  FTFY

Comment

Ok, I have everything sorted. My accountant is away, but one of the partners has looked at the figures and OK'ed them. Paperwork drawn up and ratified.

I now want to make payment, for the payment to myself am I ok to transfer from my business account to my personal account, or do I have to make an "official" transfer, i.e. CHAPS or something ?

Comment

Ok, I have everything sorted. My accountant is away, but one of the partners has looked at the figures and OK'ed them. Paperwork drawn up and ratified.

I now want to make payment, for the payment to myself am I ok to transfer from my business account to my personal account, or do I have to make an "official" transfer, i.e. CHAPS or something ?
                      If you have the paperwork drawn up then you can just make the payment from the business bank over to your personal account.

Craig

Comment

Working...
                      X