• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Self Assessment

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ok, I have called the hmrc (idid try calling last night a few times but couldn't get through so I asked on here) and they rey say they require a self assessment for the tax year year that you become a company director even if no tax is actually due.

Comment

Originally posted by rjustice View Post
      Ok, thanks for your responses. I will complete a self assessment for 2012-2013. My accountant has told me that I will need to wait for a UTR so I will miss the 31st and so have to pay a £100 penalty. Pretty annoying but I would prefer to take the hit and put my mind at rest. Rookie mistake.

As Jessica said you should be fine - if you have no UTR then HMRC will extend the filing deadline for 3 months after they issue you one.
      ContractorUK Best Forum Adviser 2013

Comment

Originally posted by rjustice View Post
        Ok, I have called the hmrc (idid try calling last night a few times but couldn't get through so I asked on here) and they rey say they require a self assessment for the tax year year that you become a company director even if no tax is actually due.
        They require one but it isn't a legal requirement unless they send you a form (assuming of course you don't actually owe them any tax).

Having said that, other than a bit of time it doesn't do any harm.

Comment

Working...
        X