• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Declaring dividends

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ladams215 View Post
    I'm new to contracting - have a question as my accountant is still on bloody holiday.

Can my dividends be declared / paperwork sorted once a year or does it have to be done at point of taking them?

Also - if I did this (directors loan I know) can I just offset this at year end as a dividend? I.e the money that would have been paid to me as a div in the first place but is no longer in my account.

Thanks for your help.
    Dividends should be declared and paperwork prepared when they are taken – if you simply take money from the account without the appropriate paperwork then it is seen to be a loan and will be classed as a BIK on which you will be taxed. The extra tax can easily be avoided by sorting the paperwork at the time that the dividend is declared and it’s probably less work than having to go back over a year’s worth of stuff at the year end to work out the dividends.

Keep it simple and declare the dividends when you take them.

Originally posted by Sausage Surprise View Post
    Get yourself a proper contracting accountant that doesn't go on holiday.
    I hope you're not suggesting that a 'proper contracting accountant' doesn't go on holiday...

Comment

Working...
    X