• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

training as company expense ?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MPwannadecentincome View Post
    This is where permie employees get away with it...

Company: "we can save money sending you on training abroad, would you like to go?"

Permie: "yes please and can I tag an extra day on the end to tour the place?"

Company: "sure thing we'll still pay for the flights".
    I don't think this is true at all. Not many employers would swallow that at all. It's much more likely you will be put on some god awful overnight flight home and be expected back in the office next day.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
      I don't think this is true at all. Not many employers would swallow that at all. It's much more likely you will be put on some god awful overnight flight home and be expected back in the office next day.
      Not in any of the companies I have worked at!

Some do and some don't I guess.
      This default font is sooooooooooooo boring and so are short usernames

Comment

This is my experience too, when I was blessed with a couple of business trips to Manchester (no disrespect to Manchester, but I didn't really want to add on any days!)
        ContractorUK Best Forum Adviser 2013

Comment

Permies at my current gig have recently each been sent to the US for a week or two. Flights were premium economy. One of them extended the trip by a week with an internal flight across the US to visit relatives. No idea if the company picked up the tab for the internal flight but it wouldn't surprise me at all. Nice employer except I have no intention of going perm again ever.

Comment

I've worked in a number of places that have let me do this, but assumes the extra days are not working days.

Usually tags on to weekends or booked days off so instead of returning Friday night, my return is Sunday night. They obviously do not pay for your extra accommodation so it doesn't matter to them, and sometimes works out cheaper.

Comment

Originally posted by jmo21 View Post
              I've worked in a number of places that have let me do this, but assumes the extra days are not working days.

Usually tags on to weekends or booked days off so instead of returning Friday night, my return is Sunday night. They obviously do not pay for your extra accommodation so it doesn't matter to them, and sometimes works out cheaper.
              Flights can sometimes be cheaper because of the "Saturday Night" rule.

Also some destinations do not have daily flights or they are very expensive so staying an extra night or two is possible even with the company paying the hotel.
              This default font is sooooooooooooo boring and so are short usernames

Comment

I'd suggest that if the cost of the flights to India plus the cost of the training is in total less than the cost of getting the training in the UK, you'll likely be ok. I'd document those costs and file them with the expense documentation.

But I am NOT an accountant, so who knows. I'm trying to apply common sense.

Comment

Working...
                X