• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Contract doesn't reflect business relationships

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Contract doesn't reflect business relationships

Hi,

I'm considering a new contract - a standard professional service contract, with my limited company contracted through an agency, for supply of services to an end client. All seems fine, with the exception of one clause in the contract:

"[The Agency's client] is the client or customer of [my limited company] for all purposes in relation to the Project and the performance of the Services."

Although the contract is between the agency and my ltd co, this seems to creates a contractual relationship between the end client and my ltd co. The agency assure me that this is not the intention of the clause, and that no such relationship will exist... but surely the clause means that it will?

I can see why they've done this - the next clause goes on to deal with my company's obligations to their client as per the Contract (Third Parties) Act 1999, but I've never seen a clause like this in 8 years of contracting.

They refuse to change it to properly reflect their intention. Apart from being an inaccurate portrayal of the business relationships involved (which is bad enough), does anyone know what potential implications this might have, legally, tax wise or other? I'm very reluctant to walk away from what is a fantastic opportunity, and I don't want to be unnecessarily pedantic but this feels fairly fundamental... I could hold my nose and jump in, but equally there's no urgency to take on a new role... any advice welcome!

Thanks
    AP

If you started you are screwed.

If you haven't then pay a solicitor - there are plenty who have written articles for the main part of this site - to review the contract and rewrite the clauses you have a problem with.

The vast majority of agencies I've dealt with back down completely when faced with arguing with a solicitor - though they often contact the solicitor first to confirm you are using one.
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Working...
    X