• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Self Assessment - How to get overpaid income tax back?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Self Assessment - How to get overpaid income tax back?

1) While filling the SA online, the calculated result came to:

Total tax repayable to you for 2012-13 £266.85

In the actual auto-generated form I can see it being entered like this:

I am expecting a refund of £266.85 correct?

I had a similar case last year, and was never paid by HMRC:

The bank details were correctly given, but I heard nothing back from them. I am misunderstanding the whole thing, have I done something wrong or have they really forgotten to refund it?

2) Where do I enter my PAYEE tax code? I checked every page twice, but there is no where to enter it online.

Many Thanks

Everyone has a normal tax code (adj. for age if necessary) when it comes to filling in a tax return, so you don't need to enter it anywhere.

The refund you're due may be offset against something owed, or HMRC may have corrected an obvious error. Register at HMRC Online so you can view each year, then you should be able to trace the refund to see what happened. It may simply be sat on your account waiting for you to make a specific claim for it.

Or call HMRC and ask them. Or ask your accountant to
    ContractorUK Best Forum Adviser 2013

Comment

Thanks for your help Clare.

When I go to my SA account, it seems it has no entry of last year.

That's not normal is it?

Comment

It might be, if you've only recently set it up. Wait until you've submitted your tax return for this year and then log back in to see if it updates - HMRC systems can take a while to process things, so don't expect anything to happen too quickly!

Comment

hehe yeah I understand.

The thing is though I have already submitted one last year for 2011/12. They weren't able to update the system after 12 months? Jesus...

I have send them a 'technical question', let see if they come back to me after 48 hours as promised.

Comment

"Technical"? You'll be waiting a while

It may be because you've only recently set up your HMRC Online account? Either that or they may not have tied up your last tax return to your UTR for some reason. It's worth giving them a nudge, and it might help with your repayment. You'll be able to buy a mars bar with the interest they'll add on too!

Comment

haha yeeeaah a free mars bar.

But yeah I had setup the online account for real in 2011. As you said, probably they have not tied up my last tax return to my UTR for some reason. I follow this up. Thank you Clare.

Comment

FWIW for 12/13 I submitted my SA end of April, and received the refund sometime in June.
                Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

In response to answering the title question if you enter your bank details into the tax return, you should get a refund in 7-10 working days.

Comment

Working...
                  X