• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Agent asking for a passport copy

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ba55meister View Post
    the agent finally wrote back why he actually needs it. He said it's just he was asked by his boss in case they will get audited. Why should I care if the do though?
    Depends on who is doing the audit. If they are being audited to make sure that they have checked you have a right to work in this country (and the easiest way is to check your passport), and they can't show that, do you then run the risk that the Home Office come calling instead? I don't know.

Scan the passport, blank out all the details and send them a copy.
    Best Forum Advisor 2014
    Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
    Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
      Scan the passport, blank out all the details and send them a copy.
      Blank what details out?

Also I work through my partner's limited company. Basically I am employed by a ltd company and the contract is between that company and the agency. That is why I am concerned.
      Last edited by ba55meister; 7 August 2013, 11:11.

Comment

Blank what details out?

Also I work through my partner's limited company. Basically I am employed by a ltd company and the contract is between that company and the agency. That is why I am concerned.
        Passport number, issue date, issue place, the strip of numbers at the bottom of the page, expiration date. Basically anything that might make it useful to them
        Best Forum Advisor 2014
        Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
        Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Passport number, issue date, issue place, the strip of numbers at the bottom of the page, expiration date. Basically anything that might make it useful to them
          What's the point in sending it then at all though?

Comment

What's the point in sending it then at all though?
            So they can prove they have shown some diligence when dealing with you. Many things we do don't have a point but have to be done to avoid trouble.

Comment

That's what I do except instead of plain redacting I overprint the blanked out areas with "COPY NOT FOR REPRODUCTION" and "<agency name> - COPY".

Scanned at 75dpi (colour, because that's what they ask for) it serves the purpose of box ticking and not much else.

Comment

Working...
              X