• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Credit checking agencies

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Credit checking agencies

So ...
    How many people do it - and who do you use? I've got at least 1 offer in, and probably getting another offer, but not agencies I have dealt with or seem very big (or to my mind very financially sound according to the free bit of companycheck - negative net worth)

Definitely worth it

Credit check the agency, the end client and any other company in the chain.
    Your bank or accountant can usually offer these services on a PAYG basis.

If anything seems marginal look to move from monthly to fortnightly or weekly billings.
    Also try to negotiate the payment terms down to a minimum.

Interestingly, some of the more savvy agencies are now seeking upfront payments from end clients prior to consultants contract commencement.

First sign of slow timesheet sign-off or delay payments start looking around and check your insurance cover.

Comment

Originally posted by DeadEyedJacks View Post
      Credit check the agency, the end client and any other company in the chain
      Yep. especially when the agencies have longer contract terms. Think how much credit you are extending to the agent, especially if you are on monthly payment terms with time after that until the invoice is paid. It soon adds up.

I'm currently using creditsafe which isn't cheap but I'm on an introductory rate.

Comment

Credit check the agency, the end client and any other company in the chain.
        Your bank or accountant can usually offer these services on a PAYG basis.

If anything seems marginal look to move from monthly to fortnightly or weekly billings.
        Also try to negotiate the payment terms down to a minimum.
        This! You really do need to know that all of the businesses involved in your gig are financially sound and don't have a history of non-payment. For a fairly in-depth look at the what and why of credit checking check out this guide here on CUK

First sign of slow timesheet sign-off or delay payments start looking around and check your insurance cover.
        Now don't be hasty The first delay may or may not be an indicator of something amiss. In our experience nine out of ten delays are simply down to human error and are not symptomatic of something untoward.

But if payments are regularly delayed or a previously prompt client starts to drag their heels, well that's another story.

Originally posted by bluetoaster View Post
        Yep. especially when the agencies have longer contract terms. Think how much credit you are extending to the agent, especially if you are on monthly payment terms with time after that until the invoice is paid. It soon adds up.
        Agreed, ideally you want the agency/client to have a good enough credit limit to support at least three invoicing cycles. If they are cash poor then as DeadEye says look at reducing terms.

I'm currently using creditsafe which isn't cheap but I'm on an introductory rate.
        Interesting, we wouldn't have thought most contractors would be conducting enough searches for a contract to be cost effective. Or are you just really nosey like us
        The only debt collection & credit control company recommended by Contractor UK.

Read our articles on ContractorUK here and get in touch here.

Comment

Originally posted by Safe Collections View Post
          Interesting, we wouldn't have thought most contractors would be conducting enough searches for a contract to be cost effective. Or are you just really nosey like us
          It is a very good introductory deal. I don't envisage continuing after the deal expires.

Comment

It is a very good introductory deal. I don't envisage continuing after the deal expires.
            Just check the contract/agreement. We are aware they used to include an auto renewal notice in the contracts, so if you didn't cancel in writing X amount of months in advance it renewed for another year at a higher price.

Not sure if that is still the case or not but better safe than sorry!
            The only debt collection & credit control company recommended by Contractor UK.

Read our articles on ContractorUK here and get in touch here.

Comment

Originally posted by Safe Collections View Post
              Just check the contract/agreement. We are aware they used to include an auto renewal notice in the contracts, so if you didn't cancel in writing X amount of months in advance it renewed for another year at a higher price.

Not sure if that is still the case or not but better safe than sorry!
              Thanks for the warning. I'll check the contract for that.

Comment

Working...
              X