• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

IT leasing - 100% tax relief

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

IT leasing - 100% tax relief

Hi, what exactly does this mean?

Nice simple example would clarify this best for me. This is how I'm being told it works by a leasing company, however, I've read conflicting things now.

Lease Value: £1,000
    Pre-Tax Profits: £50,000

Example 1.
    Taxable Profits = £49,000
    Tax Bill (10% example) = £4,900

Example 2.
    Taxable Profits = £50,000
    Tax Bill - Lease cost = £5,000 - £1,000
    Tax Bill = £4,000

So in words.... does the cost of the lease come off of your tax bill or does it just reduce your pre tax profits?

Thanks

It would be an expense and reduce your profit, thereby reducing your tax. It's not something that can actually reduce the CT value itself.

Do you have the exact details the lease company have given you? They may be talking about first year or annual investment allowances....?
    ContractorUK Best Forum Adviser 2013

Comment

Operating Lease

Hello,

I think they are talking about operating lease. The expense of operating lease is deducted from your operating expenses, therefore reducing your tax bill. Also, if you lease, the tax that you pay on equipment is returned to you during the lifetime of the lease as opposed to using 18% capital allowance.

I hope this helps and makes sense.

Good luck!

Originally posted by ljc View Post
      Hi, what exactly does this mean?

Nice simple example would clarify this best for me. This is how I'm being told it works by a leasing company, however, I've read conflicting things now.

Lease Value: £1,000
      Pre-Tax Profits: £50,000

Example 1.
      Taxable Profits = £49,000
      Tax Bill (10% example) = £4,900

Example 2.
      Taxable Profits = £50,000
      Tax Bill - Lease cost = £5,000 - £1,000
      Tax Bill = £4,000

So in words.... does the cost of the lease come off of your tax bill or does it just reduce your pre tax profits?

Thanks

Comment

Working...
      X