• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Informal discussion binding?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Informal discussion binding?

Just had a chat with the Client yesterday and they said they had this other bit of work (couple of weeks only) they would like me to do when I finish my current gig in a week or so. We had a brief look at what they want and since I had nothing definite coming up I just said yeah why not.

I now have an offer for contract starting when this current one finishes (in a week or so) and want that as it is longer term. I haven't signed anything saying I would stay on and my notice is only 1 week so does my chat mean anything? I could try and push the other one out by a couple of weeks but trouble is the theoretical 2 weeks will more than likely go longer so I dont want to stuff the other Client round, I also want to keep current Client happy too...

I know it's all part of the game and it's a decision I have to make but I just want to know how binding my little conversation is. They have to understand that they are basically offering me a weeks extension at a time and this is not great as I am constantly on the lookout for something as I don't really know where I stand with how long I will really be here. Good for them as they don't have any real commitment...

I would have another little chat and find out how likely the extension is going to be. If you get a flowery answer then go with the new gig. No signature, no obligation, as far as I'm concerned!

Comment

How intense a couple of weeks?

Originally posted by mashetti
      Just had a chat with the Client yesterday and they said they had this other bit of work (couple of weeks only) they would like me to do when I finish my current gig in a week or so. We had a brief look at what they want and since I had nothing definite coming up I just said yeah why not.

I now have an offer for contract starting when this current one finishes (in a week or so) and want that as it is longer term. I haven't signed anything saying I would stay on and my notice is only 1 week so does my chat mean anything? I could try and push the other one out by a couple of weeks but trouble is the theoretical 2 weeks will more than likely go longer so I dont want to stuff the other Client round, I also want to keep current Client happy too...

I know it's all part of the game and it's a decision I have to make but I just want to know how binding my little conversation is. They have to understand that they are basically offering me a weeks extension at a time and this is not great as I am constantly on the lookout for something as I don't really know where I stand with how long I will really be here. Good for them as they don't have any real commitment...
      Could you do it simultaneously? From home, evenings and weekends?
      Why not?

Comment

Originally posted by Dundeegeorge
        Could you do it simultaneously? From home, evenings and weekends?
        That's something I am keen to puruse... why get paid for 1 job when you can get paid for 2

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck
          If you get a flowery answer ...
          Flowery ... as in uncertain? I think that's what you mean.
          Excuse me for being ignorant, I am a foreigner

Comment

Legally, you're OK to take either contract.

Professionally, it's a bit more tricky - you made a commitment to do the work, and now you're saying that you won't. If I were your client, I wouldn't be too happy about it.

I would probably just tell the client the situation and see if there are any other options for delivering what they want:
            - you might be able to subcontract the work to someone else
            - the client might be able to get someone else to do it instead
            - the new client might be able to wait a week or two longer
            - you might be able to do both and bill for weekend working.

Not telling them, then taking the new gig, is the one option that has the highest risk of a bad outcome (since, if they don't like it when you tell them, they definitely won't like it if you don't). This business is all about repeat business, so you don't want to leave an unhappy customer behind.
            Plan A is located just about here.
            If that doesn't work, then there's always plan B

Comment

Working...
            X