• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Money worries

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jmo21 View Post
    I disagree actually.

The client is of course entitled to be upset, and the agent is to mostly to blame, but in this scenario the OP is quite unprofessional to just leave without saying anything.

Yes, you are not contractually obliged, but professionally, you should have been making sure of a clean handover.
    But the OP did inform the client that he planned to leave (or not renew) and was willing to discuss how to do things sensibly. From what I understand, they came back with no you can't leave you've got to give notice - totally misunderstanding how things work. What do you do in this situation? You can only go so far.

Same goes for renewals. You can advise client that renewal is due - you can offer to handover. If client doesn't listen, does nothing, and, instead, leaves it until the last day and assumes you're going to renew, what can you do?

Also, I wouldn't be getting into the argument between agency and client. If client signed up for 5 months and agency, for whatever reason, only signed contractor up for one month then its their mess to sort out. Quite why they did this you'll probably never know but I dont think that was a very clever move by the agency.
    Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
      Also, I wouldn't be getting into the argument between agency and client. If client signed up for 5 months and agency, for whatever reason, only signed contractor up for one month then its their mess to sort out. Quite why they did this you'll probably never know but I dont think that was a very clever move by the agency.
      Time to open discussions about that (hefty) rate rise
      Contracting: more of the money, less of the sh1t

Comment

Originally posted by kingcook View Post
        Time to open discussions about that (hefty) rate rise
        Indeed. It's a shame in some ways you have another gig, as you could have held the agency to ransom for a much better rate.

Your contract has an end date, obviously that overrides any concept of notice periods. Leaving on the end date isn't optional, it's obligatory.

What a crazy situation. As if we don't have low enough opinion of agents, they do this sort of thing.
        Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
          Indeed. It's a shame in some ways you have another gig, as you could have held the agency to ransom for a much better rate.
          The agency did offer more money, but it was not as good as my next "gig" plus the next one is a bit more exciting in a nerdy kind of way, where I was I felt like I was stuck in a rut.. I didn't do a lot and I got paid very well for it! maybe I am mad!

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
          Your contract has an end date, obviously that overrides any concept of notice periods. Leaving on the end date isn't optional, it's obligatory.

What a crazy situation. As if we don't have low enough opinion of agents, they do this sort of thing.
          In all honesty I am a bit shocked, they have been a excellent agency throughout the term of the contracts and now they won't return calls or emails.

They've done pretty well off me though.. I know they were charging £100 per day ontop of my daily, I was there almost 3 yrs!

Fairweather friends ?!

Comment

Originally posted by jmo21 View Post
            I disagree actually.

The client is of course entitled to be upset, and the agent is to mostly to blame, but in this scenario the OP is quite unprofessional to just leave without saying anything.

Yes, you are not contractually obliged, but professionally, you should have been making sure of a clean handover.
            I actually agree with you.. it was unprofessional, but I did speak to my "account manager" at the agency two weeks before, and after I told the client I was not coming back.. I offered to write up a handover on my own time and make things good.

I've not been taken up on this offer, but have a good Friendship with my "team leader" who regularly gtalk's me with questions.

All in all, it was sh*t.. I don't feel proud about what happened.. if anything I needed to lookout for myself my new contract is for 18 months at a much higher rate, this allows the wife to buy much more expensive pairs of shoes. Win win.

Comment

Originally posted by thekiwi View Post

They've done pretty well off me though.. I know they were charging £100 per day ontop of my daily, I was there almost 3 yrs!

Fairweather friends ?!
              For 3 years??? Jesus... no wonder they are upset you are going. Don't come across a sucker that often, let alone for 3 years so gonna be hard pressed for them to find another. Not even challenge it when the 24 month rule kicked in? You sure you are cut out for this?
              'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                For 3 years??? Jesus... no wonder they are upset you are going. Don't come across a sucker that often, let alone for 3 years so gonna be hard pressed for them to find another. Not even challenge it when the 24 month rule kicked in? You sure you are cut out for this?
                Nah.. but I quite like they money tho.

Comment

I didn't do a lot and I got paid very well for it! maybe I am mad!
                  Good for the pocket, not so good for the CV.

IMO, you made the right decision to move on.
                  Contracting: more of the money, less of the sh1t

Comment

Just been told "Client is retaining 4 weeks payment" so this is why I've not been paid.

Now forgive me if I'm wrong.. but I have a signed timesheet, and I was working under contract.. It's the Agency who owes me and not the client..

*sigh*

Edit: just spoke to mate in Finance from old gig, who says the invoice is not witheld.. just not paid.. 30 day terms like normal.
                    Last edited by thekiwi; 16 April 2013, 13:38. Reason: neus

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
                      But the OP did inform the client that he planned to leave (or not renew) and was willing to discuss how to do things sensibly. From what I understand, they came back with no you can't leave you've got to give notice - totally misunderstanding how things work. What do you do in this situation? You can only go so far.

Same goes for renewals. You can advise client that renewal is due - you can offer to handover. If client doesn't listen, does nothing, and, instead, leaves it until the last day and assumes you're going to renew, what can you do?
                      Ok, I misread the post. Not a lot you can do if the client mis-understands the notice period.

Just been told "Client is retaining 4 weeks payment" so this is why I've not been paid.

Now forgive me if I'm wrong.. but I have a signed timesheet, and I was working under contract.. It's the Agency who owes me and not the client..

*sigh*
                      Pretty ridiculous to be honest, get onto payontime.co.uk and let the agent worry about getting money from the client.

Comment

Working...
                      X