• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Is it illegal for a company to trade whilst dormant ?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is it illegal for a company to trade whilst dormant ?

Hi,

Can anyone tell me whether it is illegal for a company to trade while it is dormant ? I know, obviously, that it it is wrong, and would never do so, but is it actually illegal ? And if so what is the offence, what are the penalties, and who is responsible for enforcing them ?

By "trade" I mean to enter into contracts and take money in exchange for goods and services. I.e. "trade"

Thanks,

Boo
    Last edited by Boo; 15 April 2013, 13:37.

Originally posted by Boo View Post
    Hi,

Can anyone tell me whether it is illegal for a company to trade while it is dormant ? I know, obviously, that it it is wrong, and would never do so, but is it actually illegal ? And if so what is the offence, what are the penalties, and who is responsible for enforcing them ?

By "trade" I mean to enter into contracts and take money in exchange for goods and services. I.e. "trade"

Thanks,

Boo2
    No idea what your plan is...but as soon as it has any income, it's no longer dormant.

Dormant's mainly a term for HMRC's benefit...so if the company starts to have income, and you don't tell HMRC about it, then yes, that's illegal, it's tax evasion.

Comment

Originally posted by Maslins View Post
      .so if the company starts to have income, and you don't tell HMRC about it, then yes, that's illegal, it's tax evasion.
      Thanks for your reply but I'm strictly interested in knowing whether it is specifically illegal to trade whilst the company is registered as "dormant" at Companies House, not the tax or other implications.

I have no plans btw

Boo

Comment

Not aware of any specific illegality, other than registration for taxes.

However once the company trades it ceases to be dormant, so protectively you can't continue to file "dormant" accounts.

Comment

Working...
        X