• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Working with AWR/IR35

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Wanderer View Post
    Actually, it's a good thing. If there is an engagement where the client wants IR35 style direction and control then they are going to have to abide by the AWR and pay holidays, benefits etc which is a bonus to the worker who would otherwise be languishing in an IR35 caught contract.

If the company wants to avoid the AWR and all it's complications then they have to stop and think about structuring the engagement as a proper B2B relationship which will ultimately help the contractor to avoid IR35.

I don't see the downside, everyone's a winner!
    I wish I could second that but. . .

When AWR was introduced, a previous client came up with a new contract (non-negotiable) which they reckoned would avoid AWR.
    By making everyone supply their services through a Ltd Co. as opposed to self employed or brollie, and by procuring direct not through agents, they reckoned they had a silver bullet.
    Unfortunately the contract was a cut-n-paste from their standard employee contract and as such it put you slap-bang in IR35 territory.

So while I agree with Wanderer that everyone should be a winner, some clients/HR just can't help but but make pig's ear from a sliken purse.

Comment

Originally posted by mmmBeer View Post
      Thanks for all repsonses on this thread, Im taking the contract

Now I have a decision to make on whether to go Agency PAYE or stick with my Lts Co and work inside IR35.....the calculators Ive used seem to think basic PAYE is a very slightly better take home and I wouldnt have the admin worries either. Is this the general consesus out there?
      I'd run it thru your ltd, keep as much span of control over your finances as you can. If you've run ltd for a while, it's not much extra effort.
      But then again I'm a control freak..
      "My God, it's huge!!"

Comment

Originally posted by mmmBeer View Post
        Thanks for all repsonses on this thread, Im taking the contract

Now I have a decision to make on whether to go Agency PAYE or stick with my Lts Co and work inside IR35.....the calculators Ive used seem to think basic PAYE is a very slightly better take home and I wouldnt have the admin worries either. Is this the general consesus out there?
        Since you already have a LTD I'd be inclined to say stick with it but you are right that Umbrellas are a lot less agro.
        Free advice and opinions - refunds are available if you are not 100% satisfied.

Comment

Working...
        X